Freshman Overnight Orientation

Golden Eagle Orientation

Golden Eagle Orientation

Xochitl Gomez, Contributor

For the first time this year, CSULA is introducing the Freshman Overnight Orientation program, which gives incoming freshman the opportunity to get a unique orientation experience. This orientation differs from the regular day time orientation since incoming students will have the opportunity to stay over for a night in the dorms. They’ll basically feel the college experience in just a day and a half. This is a great strategy to help incoming freshmen transition into a new environment.

This is the time when incoming freshmen and transfers can ask all the questions they have in mind. Basically, they learn a lot about the school, financial aid, and the various services offered in campus. Not only that, but, they make new friends (and connect with others in similar majors as them), meet advisors and sign up for classes.

Angie Hernandez, a CSULA student, says, “I would have loved if this orientation was available when I started. I was too shy. I hope it continues to be offered in a couple of years when my sister starts coming here.” Since this is the first-time overnight orientation will occur, incoming students should take advantage of the opportunity. Cal States, such as Long Beach, East Bay, Channel Islands and others have also been offering overnight orientation. Spaces are limited, so it is encouraged that students reserve as soon as possible.

The overnight orientation has a $96.20 fee which includes, activities, lunch and dinner. Students will be able to stay a full day Thursday, July 27, sleep at the dorms and go participate on a half day of activities the following Friday.

Robert Delgado, also a Cal State L.A. student, says, “If this new orientation experience was offered when I was barely starting here, I would’ve signed up. Since I don’t dorm here, I would’ve like to stay here, to at least say I dorm in my college years.” Students, will need to choose Overnight Orientation on the reservation system and pay the $96.20 fee and fill out a supplemental application as well.