Ain’t no mountain high enough for these two

52 Hikes in 52 Weeks

Photo by J. Aaron Delgado

Photo by J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado, Photo Editor

What if one hike a week could change your life forever? Keen Thoughtz, a show on Golden Eagle Radio hosted by Daisy Villalobos and Jessica Mehdikhani revolving around the environment, exposes listeners to the 52 Hike challenge that inspires people to explore the great outdoors and change people’s lives in a positive way.

The 52 Hike Challenge is an activity to help introduce people to the nature of hiking and as a challenge that anyone can do around the world. The challenge starts whenever the person is ready and operates by taking one hike every week for 52 weeks, or equivalent to one year, whether the hikes are consecutive or not. Throughout the hikes, people will start to reflect on the progress that they have made towards their healthier lifestyle and goals that they have set for themselves.

In 2014, Karla Amador and Philip Stinis created of The 52 Hike Challenge when Amador was going through tough times as she was handling difficult situations like divorce. Amador then met Stinis, who was 80 pounds’ overweight and found it imperative to change his life, who became her soulmate and started off their life journey. After seeing Stinis’ success with his weight loss journey it inspired Amador to join him in his outdoor hiking adventures. His influence extended to being featured as a motivational story in Men’s Health Magazine where Stinis shared how he reached his body goal by rising up mountains.

Spending time outdoors, Amador started to notice that her journey was helping her cope with her emotional distress and started to feel mentally relieved. Amador wanted to have adventure once again and shared her New Year’s resolutions with Stinis, which was to hike at least once per week. After setting the New Year’s resolution, they both completed the challenge in 8 and half months by hiking some of the earth’s most beautiful mountains and natural landmarks, such as the tallest volcano in El Salvador and Mount Whitney.

Amador and Stinis decided to open up the challenge to anyone who wishes to participate in the 52 Hike Challenge by sharing their experiences on Instagram, which is the way they allow users to share their progress in the challenge with the hashtag #52HikeChallenge. Many people have shared their stories, photos, and adventurous trails on Instagram since the challenge was shared for others around the world to partake in.

Amador and Stinis plan occasional hike sessions so people in Southern California who wish to meet and go on and venture with the organizers of the challenge. If anyone wishes to join the challenge it is never too late start.

Keen Thoughtz airs on Golden Eagle Radio Tuesdays through Fridays at 9 AM.