How to return to normalcy after an insane election

Return back to Normal

Photo courtesy of All in Software

Photo courtesy of All in Software

Photo courtesy of All in Software

Alejandro Ortega, Contributor

As of now, The sad truth is that we can never go back to normal. I apologize if the headline is misleading but its the reality we all have to live with and accept. The United States experienced a shift in consciousness as Donald J. Trump was elected president on Tuesday.

I am not here to preach to anyone. I respect everyones opinion and if you were one of the few that took the time to go out and vote, I commend you. Many chose to sit out during one of the most important elections in history. We did have to choose between the two most unpopular candidates of all time, but everyone’s voice mattered in this election.

Most of you, like myself, don’t agree with his policies, his approach towards minorities and foreigners, and his treatment of women. Once the announcement was made, people of all backgrounds hit the streets to protest the results. Universities around the country,  including Cal State LA, demonstrated their anger and frustration.

Guillermo Ochoa, a 23-year-old sociology major, took part in the first rally that took place on campus the day after the election. I cant believe we elected a racist into office. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime. I’m extremely sad.

As you read this, it may seem grim and hopeless. Dont be discouraged. Here is some advice to help you return back to normal, to some degree.

1. Love one another.

There is a lot of hate running rampant around the country on both ends of the political spectrum. Trump supporters are thrilled with the outcome and are not afraid to show their excitement. This has to public discrimination and hatred towards people of color, as reported by numbers of people on social media. For people that are against Trump, protests and rallies can suddenly turn violent at any moment’s notice. It can even affect people that are fighting for the same cause. We all have to come together during these uncertain times. A divided nation is not going to get us anywhere, said Laura Jimenez, a 21-year-old Music major. Be respectful to one another.

1. Take control of the things you actually have control over.

A lot of what’s happening is out of our control now. Donald Trump is the president of the free world. However, there are many things you do have control over. Finish school. Get your degree. This might be the most important thing you do in your life.

Ive realized that my education means everything. We [students] are the future of this country. Were not going to allow this country to go down the drain, said Michael Gomez, a 20-year-old Latino student. We need educated people to stand up against hate and bigotry. Spend time with your family and friends. Live the life you want to live and succeed. Dont be part of a bad statistic.

1. Quit fearing the worst.

This might be hard for some. And thats completely understandable. As a country, we have gone through hard times in the past. Remember, we still live in the greatest country on Earth. Appreciate the liberties that we have and cherish them. Look back at all the influential people that have made this country great. Follow their example.

1. Stay Informed.

This election has served as a wake up call regarding the importance of civic education. It can become easy to forget about the issues, locally and nationally. Go about your daily life, but be aware of whats happening around you. It was important for me to stay informed. I wasnt going to be the one that voted blindly. I’m staying in touch with everything from here on out, said Mary Quiroz, a 22-year-old Communications major.

These are only a few suggestions I have for you. I find these to be only the tip of the iceberg. I am going to live my life without fear and truly hope for the best for this country. I have no hatred in my heart for anyone, no matter who you voted for. We are all one nation. Be kind to one another.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “How to return to normalcy after an insane election”

1. Vincent Arias on November 21st, 2016 2:00 pm

I think Trump will be a great President! I don’t understand why people are so angry. He is not part of the establishment, he truly wants to help America. Why else would he put his family in danger after all they have everything they need! President Trump has always had a passion for America ever since he was younger.

[Reply]

Jose Trinidad Castaneda Reply:

Vincent Arias. It worries me to no end to read what you claim. Trump, his cabinet picks, the Republican party, Congress, and the corporations that control them, spell the end of any efforts to save this country and the planet from mutually assured destruction. You do not seem to understand that there is far too much at stake to consider normalizing Trump. I have no doubt that he will be disastrous for the world. Please. I implore you to go educate yourself. You are a university student.

[Reply]

2. Vincent on January 1st, 2017 3:32 pm

Trump has done more for this country then the past three presidents combined! Thousands of Americans and people from other countries have jobs they can feed their families because of his business. But we won’t consider that so lets start from scratch.

Since Trump declare his bid he has changed the entire system of politics. Even with all the bias media and the entire Democratic/Republican establishment he comes out winning. We need a president who can win. During the campaign he raised 6million for our veterans, went to Mexico to speak with the president, gain the support of black and latino voters, united the republican party, saved 1000 jobs “Carrier” from leaving to Mexico, rebuffed the 4billion dollar air plane “saved the US money”, negotiated the president of Egypt on not voting the terrible Israel deal, has a great relationship with Russian president…..I could go on and on and Trump has not even taken office yet!

[Reply]

3. Vincent on January 1st, 2017 3:36 pm

Jose Trinidad Castaneda,

I recommend you read the following points above:

3. Quit fearing the “worst” and 4. Stay informed

[Reply]

• How to return to normalcy after an insane election

Opinion

NBA Finals 2017

Opinion

Has the Presidency become a joke?

Opinion

Why can’t I fail classes?

• Opinion

Sorry Kid, They Don’t Advertise That On the White House

Opinion

Rhetoric or Right-Wing Revolution?

Opinion

Springing into Break

Opinion

Taking Cal State LA to New Places

Opinion

Challenging Society’s Definition of Happiness

Opinion

Anything for Selenas?

• Opinion

Communication and Understanding is Key in Inclusive Community Leadership