Students growing online media site to keep music fans in the loop

Two sophomores create Tonight Magazine, an online media site helping promote independent artists

Daria Hoffmann (left) and Cara Gonzalez (right) pose for a photo Photo courtesy of Tonight Magazine website

It all started in a college dorm room.

Two Cal State LA students, Daria Hoffmann and Cara Gonzalez, chatted it up as they prepared for a Bad Suns concert. Hoffmann pitched her friend on the idea of an online media site dedicated to music-related news; the rest is history.

Hoffmann and Gonzalez reviewed the Bad Suns concert that night and used it as their first article for what would soon become known as Tonight Magazine.

Their online media site currently focuses on highlighting independent and emerging artists as they navigate through the music industry.

“With these smaller artists it works out really well because they get where we’re coming from. They were small, they are still small. So they’re willing to put that effort into us and we’re going to put the effort back, and we’re going to build each other up,” said Daria.

Even as they grow, the two founders pledged to continue featuring smaller artists on their site.

Gonzalez said a lot of independent artists make good music, but don’t have the necessary publicity. Hoffmann added that small artists have strong messages, but need the ears to hear it.

Hoffmann says she hopes that people who read Tonight will find a new artist and expand their views. She added that Tonight is for everyone, music lovers or otherwise. Tonight allows music lovers to keep up to date with their favorite artists, while also giving others the simple scoop on what’s new and trending.

The slogan Hoffmann and Gonzalez have going really encapsulates the crux of their site: “Concert reviews, previews, and artist interviews.” In a nutshell, Tonight Magazine gives readers fast and easy info on new and local music.

Currently interning at a PR firm, Hoffmann noted how interesting it was to experience the flipside of the interview table. Leading a double life, Hoffmann handles media coverage for celebrities through her internship and reports on celebrities for Tonight.

Both Hoffmann and Gonzalez believe Tonight Magazine will provide a gateway for their career aspirations.

Hoffmann desires to work on the business side of the music industry, either as a tour manager or artist manager. Tonight helps her better understand the inner workings of that industry.

Gonzalez, on the other hand, hopes to own her own photography business. Tonight, she says, provides a great opportunity for her to practice her photography skills.

Starting Tonight just two months ago, it is still very much a baby. However, the two founders have come a long way in the short amount of time.

“[LA] is a great place to start something like this. It’s one of the music capitals,” said Hoffmann.

Even after they graduate, Hoffmann and Gonzalez hope to keep Tonight going. “Maybe we’ll be living together,” said Hoffmann to Gonzalez.

Check out their website at tonightmag.com.