Obama’s final words to America

The 44th President of the United States delivers farewell address

Official portrait of President Barack Obama in the Oval Office, Dec. 6, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

This official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

Official portrait of President Barack Obama in the Oval Office, Dec. 6, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza) This official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

The White House

The White House

Gerardo Amezquita, Contributor

Former President Barack Obama delivered his final farewell speech on Jan. 10, to thousands of his long-time supporters in his hometown of Chicago where he offered continued optimism and several warnings that threaten our current state of democracy.

In his speech, Obama defended the actions of his eight year administration, which lies on the brink of being dismantled by his successor. He reflected on the best of his achievements including: the death of the one-time world’s most wanted man, Osama bin Laden; the restored ties of communication with Cuba; the economy’s recovery from the Great Recession and the establishment of the Iran nuclear deal.

His remarks also focused on the challenges facing America. He spoke about the slow progress in addressing growing economic inequality, which he believes will only become worse if no action is taken.  “For if we don’t create opportunity for all people, the disaffection and division that has stalled our progress will only sharpen in years to come,” said Obama.  

The second issue discussed was about race relations, specifically how it continues to remain “a potent and a divisive force in our society.” Obama stressed that Americans follow our patriotic values and uphold laws against discrimination. Directly telling white Americans that current protests are not pleas for mere attention and callings for special treatment but calls to action of the original promises established in the Constitution.

“So regardless of the station we occupy; we have to try harder; to start with the premise that each of our fellow citizens loves this country just as much as we do; that they value hard work and family like we do; that their children are just as curious and hopeful and worthy of love as our own,” he said.

Mr. Obama discouraged Americans from retreating to their “bubbles” to commune exclusively with others who share their similar beliefs. He said the story of America, is the story of the battle between ideas, which has only made this country better. Outgoing President Obama encouraged healthy political dialogue, in the face of facts and reason, to direct America to a better place for future generations. Using climate change as an example, and speaking to critics who deny the issue of climate change even when there is a scientific consensus supporting the argument.

The final threat to democracy, as Obama described it, is, “whenever we take it for granted.” Asking the American people to keep hope alive and to engage more in political activities, whether it be running for office or voting in midterm elections, he said, “Ultimately, that’s what our democracy demands.  It needs you.  Not just when there’s an election, not just when your own narrow interest is at stake, but over the full span of a lifetime.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Obama’s final words to America”

1. Vincent Arias on February 6th, 2017 3:13 pm

Obama was the worst president ever! Had he done only one thing like help the African Americans in inner cities that would have been the most important achievement but unfortunately he did not.

[Reply]

• Obama’s final words to America

Politics

You’re Fired!

• Obama’s final words to America

Politics

Heating Diplomatic Fronts

• Obama’s final words to America

Politics

Conflict Everlasting: US Losing Patience

• Politics

Trump: The Department of Education’s Worst Case Scenario

• Obama’s final words to America

Politics

Growing Threats of Deportation

• Politics

Turmoil within Trump’s Cabinet

• Obama’s final words to America

Politics

CNN Obamacare Debate: Ted Cruz vs. Bernie Sanders

• Obama’s final words to America

Politics

Trump’s First Days Initiate Overhaul

• Obama’s final words to America

Politics

Trump’s Orders Evoke Uneasiness

• Politics

The Inauguration of President Donald J. Trump

Obama’s final words to America