Trump’s First Days Initiate Overhaul

Trump's first week actions impact the environment, healthcare, and trade deals

President Trump with a signed executive order

Whitehouse.gov

Ani Nalbandian, Staff Reporter

Throughout the first week of President Trump’s administration, a total of 12 significant executive orders have been signed that will impact the direction of United States policies over the coming years. Trump has spent the past week fulfilling many campaign promises that may or may not win him favors in the next election.

Of these orders, the most impactful to the Obama legacy has been the rollback of federal agency burdens on state’s regarding the Affordable Care Act.  

“One danger in this is that incrementally removing parts of the program may make the other parts less workable, actually causing more problems than before,” said Dr. Taylor Dark, Cal State LA Political Science Professor.

The Republican Administration’s ultimate goal is to eliminate Obamacare and to replace it with a different program which focuses on interstate competition of private health insurances.

“Obama started the health insurance coverage of many Americans, and the country will be upset if those protections are taken away. Trump and the Congress need to find some way to replace the ACA and it will take a lot of details and political maneuvering to do so,” said Dr. Richard Groper, Professor of Political Science.

A couple actions taken by the President over the past week were specifically aimed at blue collar workers centered in the rustbelt states. Trump released a notice removing the US from the Trans Pacific Partnership [TPP] trade deal.

It’s not very surprising. There are a lot of people on both sides of the aisle that are going to support this move, especially those without post secondary education,” Said Dr. Groper.

“This is interesting in that it is a departure from the usual Republican perspective. Most Republicans in Congress have been strong supporters of the TPP. The strongest opponents have been Democrats with ties to labor unions. So, one of Trump’s first moves is going to be popular with many liberals and economic populists,” said Dr. Dark.

The Trans Pacific Partnership removal was also advocated by the other populist candidate running in the 2016 Presidential Election, Bernie Sanders. No doubt this will go against the wants of the establishment, especially those like Hillary Clinton who called it the “gold standard of trade deals.”

Trump also signed two orders reviewing the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access pipelines. Two pipelines that have been of some controversy over the past couple years. The Dakota Access pipeline was originally set to go through Bismarck, the capital of North Dakota, but was later rerouted through Native American lands because of fear of pipeline spills. Protesters have been camping out in freezing temperatures for months in order to stop the building, to which the federal government reluctantly complied and revoked the pipeline’s permits.

The Keystone XL pipeline was of some contention because it would carry a diluted form of tar sands through nine states, which environmentalists argue, is even more dangerous than crude oil in the event of spillage. Trump’s executive orders would expedite the environmental permitting process for pipelines and directs the Commerce Department to speed up the manufacturing permitting process.

Dr. Dark explained that, “One aspects of this that is interesting is that Trump is continuing his strategy of trying to bring working class voters, especially white working class voters, into the Republican Party. Construction unions have been supportive of these pipelines, since they provide good jobs for their members. And many other working class men may gain employment in these projects.”

Everything is still up in the air regarding Dreamers students and DACA protections put in place by Obama. So far he has been reluctant to take action, but of any of Trump’s policies, those would mostly affect California, including many students at Cal State LA.