Cal State LA Alum wants a seat in the House

Wendy Carrillo, Cal State Alumna and journalist, is running for U.S. Congress.

Wendy Carrillo speaking during Women
Wendy Carrillo speaking during Women's March

Facebook/Wendy Carrillo

Facebook/Wendy Carrillo

Erron Franklin, Copy Editor

Wendy Carrillo, a Cal State LA Alumna, is campaigning to become the next Congresswoman to represent the 34th Congressional District in the United States House of representatives. The seat recently became vacant when Representative Xavier Becerra (D) was appointed as California’s new Attorney General by Governor Brown.

Carrillo studied Rhetorical Communication at Cal State LA, completing her bachelors program in ’05. During her time as a student on campus she served as Vice President of Finance for Associated Students Incorporated, in addition to being an Executive Board Member of the University Student Union. She went on to complete a master’s degree in specialized journalism at the University of Southern California.

Once an undocumented person in the United States, Carrillo is fighting for her neighborhood and district. In a recent interview with radio host Big Boy, she spoke about the “Urgency of Now” and how her experience growing up in Boyle Heights offers a unique perspective to the campaign.

“It’s about the promise of America. It is about fighting for what we believe in. It is about preserving what makes this nation incredible. It is about resiliency and severe resistance to anybody that says that we don’t belong here, that we don’t deserve something and that we are not worthy, because we are and so we need to fight for that,” Carrillo said.

Carrillo is a seasoned communicator and journalist whose career has allowed to work for notable companies and organizations; City of Los Angeles, Brave New Films, SEIU, Power 106 FM, and Univision Communications. However, throughout her career she has also been an advocate.

She was at Standing Rock in late 2016 with protestors against the building of the Dakota Access Pipeline. Last month she spoke at the Women’s March on Washington.

“I was an undocumented child that fled war from El Salvador. I am an unrecognized refugee of this country. During the Salvadorian Civil War my mother sought refuge in the U.S…she was refused but she came anyway,” Carrillo told the crowd. “Before the age of 21 I became a citizen of this country. I am not here just by myself but with the spirits of my ancestors and millions of women just like you who dared to dream, sacrifice, and fight for all of us. This is our moment, our movement and we will not go down without a fight!”

Carrillo believes that the 2016 election is indicative of the changes needed in Washington DC, and she also believes the new leader of the 34th District needs to be able to pushback against the Trump agenda.

“We are living in a moment of urgency. A moment in which our country is demanding new vision, leadership and courage. It is obvious with the results of our recent presidential election that the same establishment “politics as usual” don’t work anymore,” Carrillo Said in online piece titled ‘Why I’m running for Congress’. “We can send a representative to replace Xavier Becerra who will stand up for the people of this district and stand up to President-elect Trump.

The special election will take place in June of this year; however, a primary election in April will determine the two candidates. Carrillo will be battling it out against a Green Party candidate and ten other Democrats, including a former deputy director in the Obama Administration and an LA County Prosecutor. No Republicans have declared candidacy at this time.