Cal State LA Student Receives $5,000 Gilman Scholarship to Study Abroad in South Korea

+Cal+State+LA+Student+Johnny+Guan+is+one+of+850+national+recipients+of+a+%245%2C000+Benjamin+A.+Gilman+International+Scholarship
 Cal State LA Student Johnny Guan is one of 850 national recipients of a $5,000 Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship

Cal State LA

Cal State LA

College of Professional and Global Education, Contributor

Cal State LA Student Johnny Guan is one of 850 national recipients of a $5,000 Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. The Gilman Scholarship Program is an undergraduate grant program for U.S. citizens of limited financial means to enable them to study abroad. Guan will use his grant to study abroad in South Korea for a full semester beginning in late February 2017.

Guan, a resident of Montebello, is a dual business major in Accounting and Computer Information Systems and will receive his Bachelor of Science degree this spring.

After seeing a banner promoting international studies on campus, Guan researched the Cal State LA website to find out more. Initially he planned to study abroad in Taiwan. But a professor recommended that he go to a country in which Guan did not speak the native language. After learning more about South Korean history from watching Korean television, Guan chose South Korea for his study abroad experience. “I chose South Korea for its culture, people, landmarks and cuisine,” said Guan. “There are many other reasons as well. But it would probably take a whole page to list them.”

“Sending American students abroad is a transformational learning experience that promotes a better understanding of global affairs that can be tapped into throughout their lives,” said Eric A. Bullard, dean of the College of Professional and Global Education at Cal State LA.

Cal State LA is a member of the Institute of International Education’s (IIE) Generation Study Abroad initiative to help more Americans to gain international experience through study abroad programs. The university currently offers a wide variety of study abroad opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students in approximately 40 different countries. Students can earn academic credits at Cal State LA while pursuing their study at a host university abroad. Cal State LA students can participate in direct exchange and faculty-led programs through Cal State LA, the CSU International Programs, and other affiliated programs.

“Students return home with broader perspectives and new ideas,” Bullard said. “They are able to transfer their thoughts and experiences to solve common problems impacting their communities and the world; to focus on a field of study and/or career path; and to demonstrate strong collaborative and communication skills to enhance both personal and professional interactions.”

“There are many study abroad scholarship and financial aid opportunities out there,” says Guan. “Students need to research these options, as I did, and learn that study abroad is entirely possible.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Cal State LA Student Receives $5,000 Gilman Scholarship to Study Abroad in South Korea”

1. Curt on February 9th, 2017 9:32 pm

Hello Admin,

2017 Scholarship List for Teachers is available for the students who are enrolled or pursuing undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate degree courses. Students can apply according to their eligibility.

Application Deadline is Varies

We thought your students might find this information
    http://usascholarships.com/scholarships-for-teachers/

If you want to read articles related to scholarships like how to apply for scholarship, how to get scholarship, Scholarship thank you letter etc, Then go through the given link
    http://usascholarships.com/category/article/

[Reply]

• Cal State LA Student Receives $5,000 Gilman Scholarship to Study Abroad in South Korea

Student Advocates Negotiate State Capital for CSU Funding

Female Soviet pilots flew high during World War II

Conservative, Latino, and Proud

Con-Grad-ulations to the Class of 2017

A Day with Conan

Car on fire… again

Students Protest Against Tuition Increase

Let’s Talk About Fake News

Cal State LA honors 12 distinguished women

New food pantry feeds campus community