Once Upon a Reconfigured Sound Space

Luckman Gallery brings in new exhibitions

"Occasionally Related Occurences #1 and #2 Piece" by Richard T. Walker

DPhoenixImages

DPhoenixImages

Sylvia Valdez, Intern

The Luckman Gallery is a 3,600-square foot space located at the top of the “Street of the Arts” at the Luckman Fine Arts Complex. Since its inaugural exhibition in 1994, it has emerged as one of the most respected galleries in Los Angeles. It is currently home to two “immersive sound” projects.

The gallery features two solo projects: one by Richard T. Walker and another by Jaqueline Gordon. “Each artist utilizes a multidisciplinary approach to make works that explore how sound, objects, and people interact with one another. While Jacqueline Gordon explores the intersections of sound and noise in relation to the physical spaces. Richard T. Walker employs a variety of media to explore and question the experience of the individual within their natural landscape,” according the gallery page on the Luckman Website.

It is a must, if you’re in the area. The gallery is free of charge and exhibits are on display till Mar. 04. The exhibition is open Monday through Thursday and Saturday, from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

The striking piece that welcomes you, is a piece by Gordon, titled, “Diffusion Tiles 1-3.” An array of pastel yellows are expressed through compressed fiberglass and ceramic. As you continue into the space, a questionable hum echoes, and naturally, you are drawn to the next piece: Walker’s “Contingency of an Afterthought.” A fender squire telecaster guitar is propped up and still, playing a single note. As you begin to decipher the piece, you can see the single note is being played by a rock that’s taped to the neck of the guitar.

The gallery is spacious with intent. Each Walker piece of instrument is being held down by another obstruction, and beams with a florescent light. The sounds draw you in as you make your way around the room. Walker’s “Occasionally Related Occurrences #1 and #2” catches the  eye. A projection presents itself before your eyes.

Once you make your way through the heavy velvet curtains, the monotone carpet changes the mood. Gordon’s “Linda and Tammy IV” stand before you. The piece is made from ceramic, ultrasonic directional speakers, carpet, and extruded aluminum.

The arrangement of speakers pull you in further to Gordon’s work. “Noise Blanket 3” made from silicone, cotton, and nylon. Standing in the center allows you to hear each speaker as it’s masterfully programmed.

Truly a unique experience. I would recommend shutting your eyes and immersing yourself in the sounds. A must hear gallery, found only at the Luckman Fine Arts Complex.