Black and Yellow: These Colors Do Run

Pride Week continued with charitable 3K run

Students running at the starting line at the 2nd annual 3K

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

Janice Peregrina, Staff Reporter

Cal State LA and Associated Students Inc. (ASI), continued Spirit Week with the second anuual Golden Eagle Pride 3K, presented by the Center for Student Involvement (CSI). The 3K followed a windy path throughout the campus, began and ended in the University Student Union (U-SU) Plaza. Students, alumni, parents, and staff took the time out of their day to showcase their pride for the university and get active.

Registration for the event had been announced days prior. By simply donating canned food into marked Los Angeles Regional Food Bank boxes around campus, participants were eligible to enter into the race. For late participants who weren’t able to donate cans, CSI had iPads available to send in cash donations to the organization. The first 300 sign-ups won free T-shirts for the 3K, as well as a food voucher for a free meal from Baby’s Burgers or Wings N’ Waffles food trucks. The race was not a strict competition, and many were racing with friends and co-workers. A large group of alumni runners from the EOP Office signed up to both “show their spirit” as well as represent their winning team. One mentioned how they have won the Office Decorating Contest two years in a row, and believed they were going to win again this year.

The first hour of the event was dedicated to preparations for the run. Xtreme Fitness got on stage to lead 3K participants into some energetic stretches, with a resident student DJ helping to pump up the crowd with high-energy music. ASI President Kayla Stamps gave a quick pep talk and expressed her excitement to see the participants, and Women’s Basketball Coach Cheryl Miller promoted the charity focus of the 3K, and giving to those who don’t have enough. After promoting the next women’s basketball game on Thursday, Feb. 9, Miller launched the race with her countdown.

The course followed a multi-terrain path throughout the university campus. A swerve around the Physical Sciences building, one lap around the Jesse Owens Track, up and around the Library, and more, all leading back to the U-SU Plaza. Student representatives for the race guided participants in the right direction and shouted encouragements to continue. Some ran the entire way, others walked in between, but all were awarded a medal back at the finish line. Many students celebrated their victory by redeeming their food vouchers and enjoying a “cheat” meal, others guzzled down glasses of water and relaxed in the plaza. One student, Luis Valenzuela, talked about how he was originally going to walk the 3K, but “got excited” with everyone around and decided to run it instead. “I was really tired!,” he exclaimed. “I hadn’t run in a while.”

The Golden Eagle Pride 3K raised “hundreds” of cans of food for the drive, according to Cal State LA’s Instagram page. With the participation of everyone involved, runners and student organizations included, not only did school spirit shine, but families in need were helped.