Liquor Referral AA okay

Various Alcohol and beer

Various Alcohol and beer

Munozgo/Morguefile

Munozgo/Morguefile

Various Alcohol and beer

Malerie Wilkins, Contributor

According to the Cal State LA clery report last year, 266 students were given liquor law referrals and 265 of those students were caught drinking in the dorms on campus. Drinking and college may seem like they go hand in hand, but when a student is consuming underage, or is belligerently drunk, it can actually lead towards a negative path in someone’s academic career.

Rick Wall, Chief Police and Director of Public Safety at Cal State LA has clarified the procedure of what happens and what it means when a student is caught drinking on campus.

“These liquor law referrals are referred to judicial affairs where they handle administrative violations of the housing contract. We generally only get involved when we receive a call from the Resident Assistant in a case of a medical issue or if a student is drunk.”

The consequences remain the same as the liquor law referrals for pot, and if a student is caught in possession or under the influence of the drug or alcohol then they are still in violation of their housing contract, even though it is decriminalized in California, a student can and will be disciplined for violation.

An anonymous student that lives in the dorm talks about how it is living in housing on campus, “Sometimes I just try to tune out the obnoxious noise coming from students who don’t know how to respect noise level, I don’t think I can take it much longer.”

These numbers may seem high, but in actuality, these referrals are mostly given when students have parties in their dorm rooms, and students are in groups of five or more committing acts of underage drinking.

“I never really thought about how much drinking can affect a college student’s academic career, because it seems like an innocent thing to do,” said Melanie Alysi, an art major at Cal State LA.

While drinking, alcohol may seem like a college tradition, it would be ideal to consider a positive transformation for the binge drinking college culture, and more exposure on this issue can create awareness of how alcoholic behavior can affect the success of an academic career. Although liquor referrals don’t stay on a permanent record, it can still lead to excessive counseling and regulation from student conduct for disruptive behavior.

Maria Minella, a 20-year-old art major at CSULA, shares her thoughts on what it would be like if she got caught underage drinking at a party. “I can’t imagine getting kicked out of school for being drunk at a party in the dorm. It sounds like a nightmare,” said Minella.