Sociology Club’s event prompts student reaction

Students seen tearing and removing sociology event flyers

One of the flyers that was ripped by the suspects

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

Erron Franklin, Copy Editor

The Cal State LA Sociology Club is set to host an event about how students can get a job with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. However, the event is not sitting well with some students on campus.

On March 1, several witnesses describe two women tearing down event flyers that were on the third floor C’ wing of King Hall. “Two women tore down all the flyers posted near the Sociology Department,” said Dr. Giarrusso, Chair of the Sociology Department.

A student that was not happy about the event flyer posted by the department wrote a detailed email to the department expressing her concerns with event.

“I have to express that I am concerned that in the current political state with the problems in government, around policing and immigration, that the sociology department and soc club promotes recruiting people into this sector without opening spaces for discussion and debate and/or promoting those that do exist. While we are all here to get our degree to attain our desired careers, we are also here to critically think and challenge ourselves, each other, and the social problems we currently face,” said anonymous source via email.

Since the Sociology Department and Club begun promoting the event they have been met with resistance – students who are against the event occurring. Some of the resistance have expressed their opinions vulgarly via comments on social media, flyers being stolen, and an email questioning the validity, timing, and sensitivity of the event given recent incidents between law enforcement and people of color in Los Angeles.

However, the event is sponsored by the student government and the representation of the student body (ASI). In an email, Dr. Giarrusso says the club  “is an ASI sponsored student organization that has events to help students meet sociology professors and other sociology students and provide students with information about how to get a job and how to get into graduate school and give students opportunities to get involved in faculty research.”

Dr. Giarrusso argues that the department is fully aware of the issues the resisting students are describing and highlights the upcoming events being aimed at addressing these issues. “The Soc Club shares the above student’s concerns and that is why the Club has presentations on a variety of topics.  They are actually having several upcoming events that address social issues,” she said.

The person or persons responsible for the torn and stolen flyers have not been caught but witnesses tell the University Times that one of the females that is allegedly responsible may have been involved in similar incidents in the past – such as tearing down other ASI sponsored organization flyers such as Young Americans for Freedom (YAF).