The Golden Eagles emBRAce the act of donating

CSI brings awareness to The Grateful Garment Project

J. Aaron Delgado, Photo Editor

Eagles Care brought awareness to students on Wednesday, March 18 in the Student Union Plaza about gender based violence and the importance of services that are available to assist victims of sexual assault. This time around, Eagles Care’s March event focused on The Grateful Garment Project, an organization that is dedicated in ensuring that every victim that intersects the threshold of The Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) facility, or someone who seeks medical attention, or situations with involvement of authorities, is provided with clothing and other necessities that they may require.

Victims receive donations when they enter the SART facility to be examined. The victim is often required to concede their clothing to be examined and investigated by the forensic agent for any evidence. When the victim is in the SART facility, they may stay up to 10 hours as they are going through the examination process. Therefore, donations of snack items and toiletries are in demand as victims would want to shower after the exam is completed.

The Grateful Garment Project was conceived when the situations above were made known by the organization and found it imperative to help the victims of sexual assault as well as getting others involved. When the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) participated in the project, many students donated various products; sweatshirts/hoodies, sport bras, socks, underwear, sweat pants, gift cards, shirts, blankets, flip flops or slippers, and various other products.

The Grateful Garment Project brought the start of Operation emBRAce, a plan to collect sports bras for victims of sexual violence in the state. Undergarments are one of the most recurrently requested items of clothing from victims and also happen to be the least frequently donated, which is why Operation emBRAce is providing dignity to these victims through support by donating new sports bras.

Anyone can donate to The Grateful Garment Project even if they do not have new articles of clothing to give by simply donating money online at www.gratefulgarment.org or by check to their mailing address at 1821 S. Bascom Avenue #206, Campbell, CA 95008. To support Operation emBRAce people can text “sportsbra” to 843-606-5995 to make a donation or by visiting The Grateful Garment Project’s Amazon wishlist to have your donation shipped directly to the organization.