Car on fire… again
Short circuit causes car fire
March 20, 2017
Filed under News
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
A car fire took place on the second floor of Parking Structure A near Salazar Hall on Tuesday, March 14 around 1p.m. According to Cal State LA’s Department of Public Safety, “the cause of the fire appears to be a wire that shorted in the engine compartment of the vehicle.”
As smoke was rising from the vehicle, multiple students were on scene to witness the fire from a distance. Some even took pictures and videos and then posted them on the Facebook group, “CSULA Book Exchange.” Some witnesses said that they heard “glass shatter.”
Shortly after the incident was reported, a Public Safety officer was on the scene to assist the owner of the vehicle, who happened to be a student. The officer grabbed the nearest fire hose in order to contain the flames from spreading any further from the engine. As he was successfully holding down the fire, the student grabbed as much stuff as possible out of the smoky vehicle.
Both the student and officer who responded were taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation, the officer was treated for excessive smoke inhalation. However, they were released with no problems. There were no other reports of injuries from the smoke or fire.
This is not the first time a vehicle has caught on fire at Cal State LA. In fact, last semester a portable car battery charger caught fire in the back of a student’s vehicle. That incident also happened at a parking structure near Salazar Hall.
“We have one to two vehicle fires a year at Cal State LA,” said Chief of Police, Rick Wall. The Public Safety Department has constantly displayed their readiness. Last semester’s incident did not result in anyone being injured from the smoke or fire. There are no connections at all between the two incidents.