Con-Grad-ulations to the Class of 2017

Cal State LA’s Alumni Association hosts grad fair

Candidates from the Class of 2017

Candidates from the Class of 2017

Kathleen Sanchez

Kathleen Sanchez

Candidates from the Class of 2017

J. Aaron Delgado, Photo Editor

As graduation approaches, many students have to prepare to send invitations for the ceremony to their family members and gather all necessities for the big day. Rather than having students stress over the preparation, the Cal State LA Alumni Association hosted its long-running Grad Fair for the class of 2017. This fair was where graduating seniors could coordinate all their arrangements at once.

Spanning two days, students graduating this year were able to purchase regalia or cap and gown for the ceremony. The photo outlet was prepared with a backdrop and their photography equipment, students have the opportunity to take graduation portraits at the fair or to schedule them. Grad packs were also available to be purchased for those interested in receiving a DVD of the commencement, a license plate cover, and coupons for the sash as well as cap and gown.

Sashes are an important part to any graduation and they were readily available to be pre-ordered at the grad fair. Students were also able to customize their sashes by including their major, clubs they were associated with, and other sorts of emblems as well as custom uploaded images. Class rings and commencement flowers were available for pre-order as well.

Tickets to the commencement were available at the grad fair, which was definitely a convenience for the candidates. However, the inconvenience for many students was the amount of tickets available for each college, ranging from 10 to 20 tickets. This problem caused many students to take their search for extra tickets to Facebook groups, where they offered money in exchange. Students with additional tickets had also taken to social media to sell them, ranging from $20 to $50.

“10 isn’t enough,” said Genesis Hernandez, a Television, Film & Media major. Hernandez expressed that all her friends are in the same situation- needing more tickets to the commencement.

Nagel Flores, a Counseling major with an emphasis in Family Therapy, was able to acquire 20 tickets for himself and his invitees to his college’s commencement and wished that everyone graduating would be able to invite as many guests as he could. Flores brought up the point that the ratio of students per college played a big role on the distribution of tickets, which was further highlighted on Cal State LA’s website on the commencement page. Cal State LA will accommodate those who did not receive enough tickets for the commencement to the Golden Eagle Ballrooms 1 and 2 on the 3rd floor of the Golden Eagle building for a free livestream of the ceremony.

Students graduating this year felt that Cal State LA has fully prepared them for life after graduation and leaves them confident that they will be landing a job in their field.

“I’m actually taking a class that is teaching us how to make our resume, how to make it look good in the industry,” said Genesis Hernandez. “I felt that that class was the most useful thing I have taken here [at Cal State LA].”

Nagel Flores also felt that Cal State LA has fully prepared him as a graduate student and feels very optimistic for the future after graduation. “The future is bright, there are so many possibilities out there, especially with the skills that Cal State LA gave me,” Flores said” “I’m just so confident that I’m very marketable for the work field and I feel very prepared.”