Voices from “A” Yard

Daniel Whitlow, Contributor

Deep within the heart and spirit of every human being, there exists a primordial connection to music’s dulcet reverberations, beckoning with melodic tendrils like harmonic tentacles reaching out to yearning souls and eager ears. Soothing with graceful, hypnotic rhythms, its lush consonance and bold dissonance inspires, pacifies, and invigorates those who choose to listen. Music is limitless. Music is instinctual.

The mission of Men Utilizing Sounds to Inspire Collaboration (M.U.S.I.C.) is to provide opportunities to the men housed in this facility to explore and understand music’s profound importance in their lives. Through practice sessions and outdoor performances, both the musicians and concertgoers are able to share their love for music of all kinds together.

I have had the great pleasure in witnessing dozens of men discover and delve into the endless reservoir of creative revelations, tapping into their inherent artistic and imaginative energies to produce and design honest, lyrical and musical illustrations of their dreams, hopes, and realities. The discovery of self, the understanding they gain about who they are and what they want to achieve is a fundamental step towards becoming a complete person. We encourage openness and morality, integrity and honor, because healthy interpersonal communication and genuine effort will only strengthen our collective vision.

Entering its 16th year, the M.U.S.I.C. program looks forward to another great set of concerts, with the next tentatively scheduled for mid-March. Part of the show focuses on faithful reproducing some of our favorites of Pink Floyd, primarily drawing on songs from “The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon.” I am excited, along with my bandmates, and only wish you could share our passion with us.

Until next time, take care and many blessings.