Undergraduate Exhibition Spring 2017

Cal State LA students display art in the Fine Arts building

Medusa feat. Artist Andrea Aviles

Medusa feat. Artist Andrea Aviles

Sylvia Valdez

Sylvia Valdez

Medusa feat. Artist Andrea Aviles

Sylvia Valdez, Intern

The Fine Arts Gallery is hosting an art exhibition until April 5th. The exhibit will be open from Monday through Friday, noon-5pm.

The exhibition displays art works from Cal State LA undergraduate students, which is a great opportunity if you’re a struggling artist. The vast art pieces in the exhibit include canvases, sculptures, ceramic pieces, digital media, and drawings.

“The pieces were created within the last year by Cal State LA undergraduate students from the Art Department’s Animation, Graphic Design, Fashion & Textiles, Art Education, and Studio Arts Options.  The wide range of works were juried by the Department of Art faculty,” as posted on Cal State LA’s news release webpage.

Amongst the unique pieces, there’s one in particular that stands out. A piece titled, Medusa. This intricate cardboard piece is put together by nothing else than glue and tape. Luckily enough, Andrea J Aviles, the artist was present during my time at the exhibit. She graciously agreed to answer a few of my questions.

When asked what drew her to art, Aviles gratefully responded, “since primary [school], we were exposed to art, in classes, and my father would always be sketching, so I was surrounded by art.” Frida Kahlo is Aviles’ favorite artist. She explained, “her painting [The Two Fridas], is my favorite. I like the contrast, with the white dress and the traditional attire. The two sides of her speak to me in a way. I see how everyone has two sides to themselves.”

To say that Aviles’ Medusa was noticeable would be an understatement. To most, it would simply look like cardboard in the shape of horns, but to the artist, it’s more. “I picked a part of my body and made it abstract. I chose fond horns, I made them go forwards and added curls which represent vines” she adds. “I want people to look at my art and appreciate it. I understand that everyone’s perspective is different, but ultimately, I just want my art to be noticed,” she concluded.

There was a sense of relief in Aviles’ voice as she confessed how stressful the waiting game was. Many submitted their works and only the selected are on display now. For those who didn’t get accepted, don’t fret, there are more opportunities to come. For information on the Gallery and submissions, you can contact Gallery Director Karin Lanzoni (323) 343-4040.

The Art Department will be hosting two more events in the coming days. Graduate Thesis Exhibition coming mid-April and Senior Projects in mid-May. Details about these events can be found at Cal State LA’s Department of Art, located on the second floor of the Fine Arts Building.