Clicking with people, not computers

Wellness Fair brings awareness to Pornography Addiction

Students took quizzes to test their knowledge on Sexual Health

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado, Photo Editor

The Wellness Fair brings awareness to many issues regarding the well-being of Cal State LA students. The fair hosted by the Cal State LA Student Health Center takes various and interesting approaches to reel in those walking by with a Star Wars themed wellness fair. The intergalactic theme came to light by Diana Syariff, who is part of the student health advisory committee, to pay homage to the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art with a hopeful 2021 opening day in Exposition Park, which is being funded by George Lucas, the creator of “Star Wars”.

One of the ways the fair kept it interactive was handing out passports to students so they can explore 2 different stations from 4 different sections, which are labeled as iconic characters from “Star Wars”, for a total of 8 stations. By visiting each station students were able to learn more about mental health, sleep & relaxation, nutrition & fitness, sexual health, and drugs & alcohol. Upon completing the passport, students were given a t-shirt or water bottle that have the wellness fair’s slogan “may the wellness be with you” in Star Wars font.

The wellness fair highlights the use of on campus resources for students to take advantage of. The promotion for wholesome mental health is encouraged through the use of the Student Health Center’s licensed counselors with 10 free sessions per academic year to seek therapy when times are mentally tough. The way one can relax on campus, other than sleeping in the library, is to check out Xtreme Fitness gym in the basement of the Student Union with their yoga sessions to simulate mediation and rest. Nutritional food was well represented with Mediterranean Quinoa salad and humus for those wishing to add something different to their diet.

“Don’t do the new drug!” stated one of the boards at the fair which was referring to pornography addiction (and it’s rising statistics amongst college students). The wellness fair put a great emphasis on this portion of sexual health to raise awareness of addiction to pornography by backing it up with studies that suggest 87% of college aged men view pornography while 31% of women view pornography. Diana Syariff finds it important to emphasize pornography addiction, regardless whether someone has relationship experience or not, because it is not stressed as much as it should be.

“It’s not something that people want to talk about,” Syariff said “raising awareness that it is a problem to show that if you do it [watch pornography] too much, you should be aware of that [the problems]”

Many problems with pornography addiction among men include causing dissatisfaction in relationships, objectifying others and seeing them as a collection of body parts rather than a human being, and ultimately could cause someone to experience erectile dysfunction at age 24.

The wellness fair invited students to take a healthy approach toward their lifestyle in all aspects and to click with a person, not a computer.

1 Comment

One Response to “Clicking with people, not computers”

1. Goodwins on April 13th, 2017 7:43 am

I think raising awareness of the problem with pornography is an essential element of the wellness fair. Once people know the true consequences of pornography use, they can make more informed decisions about its use. For those struggling to stop viewing, there are answers. One of the more effective but easy-to-implement methods of stopping is contained in the book Power Over Pornography. I recommend it.

[Reply]

• Clicking with people, not computers

19-year-old student found dead

• Clicking with people, not computers

Freshman Overnight Orientation

Boards Now Aboard

• Clicking with people, not computers

Vehicle Burglary on the Rise

• Clicking with people, not computers

Judge orders the release of immigration rights activist Claudia Rueda

• Clicking with people, not computers

Meet your new president

• Clicking with people, not computers

Manchester in Mourning

• Clicking with people, not computers

CSU Smashes Butts

• Clicking with people, not computers

KICK THIS

• Clicking with people, not computers

Sweet treats during finals week

Clicking with people, not computers