Doubles Trouble

Women's tennis team wins big on senior day

Nozomi Matsuoka and Kayleigh Hall highfiving during a doubles match with Asuza Pacific

Cara Gonzales

Cara Gonzales

Oscar Alanis, Intern

The 23rd ranked Cal State LA women’s tennis team has won 6 out of their last 7 matches, following a satisfying 6-3 victory over 21st ranked Azusa Pacific on Mar. 5. With the home win, the Golden Eagles boosted their record to (12-5).

Prior to the match, seniors Kayleigh Hall, Nozomi Matsuoka, and Iris Raileanu were honored for their contributions to the Cal State LA women’s tennis team in a special ceremony at the Cal State LA Tennis Complex.

The Golden Eagles managed to take command from the get go with an amazing performance in doubles. Junior Elizaveta Sokolova and sophomore Luciana Di Laura (respectively) got things started off by winning their match 8-4 at the No.3 spot.

Their brilliant performance was followed by Raileanu and sophomore Isabella Lopez knocking off their opponent 8-6 at the battle of No.2’s. The duo is on a two match win streak of their own.

In order to complete a sweep in doubles, Matsuoka and Hall had to battle out an intense match at the No.1 spot. The pair of seniors did just that and despite it being a close match at the beginning, they ended up winning 9-7.

After sweeping Azusa Pacific in the doubles competition, the Golden Eagles went up 3-0 and needed to win just two matches in singles to seal the deal and get the team win.

Fighting in a match of No.6’s, Lopez battled through  and secured the Golden Eagles’ 4th point over the visitors. In doing so, the sophomore extended her winning streak to 5 matches.

It was Sokolova who clinched the overall win for Cal State LA as she took down her opponent in No.3 singles. The junior won her match 6-4 and 6-2.

Recording the 6th and final point for the Golden Eagles, Di Laura duked it out at No.5 singles in a match that came down to a tiebreaker after both sets. The junior lost her first set 4-6 then came back to win the second set with 6-2. In the tiebreaker, Di Laura prevailed and came out with a 10-5 victory.

Unfortunately, Cal State LA’s 3 losses came at the expense of their seniors. Raileanu went down 6-3 and 6-4. Meanwhile, Matsuoka dropped her sets 6-2 and 6-0; she is on a 5 match losing streak, while Hall is on a 4 match slump after a 6-2, 6-1 loss.

The Golden Eagles have plenty of time to recover their last home match, as they have an away contest with UC San Diego on April 15 at 11 a.m.