Rosser’s Back on Campus

The University unveils James M. Rosser Hall to honor the former Cal State LA President

President Rosser (Left) poses with former Congresswoman Diane Watson (Right)

Erron Franklin

Erron Franklin

Erron Franklin, Copy Editor

On Monday, Cal State LA held a dedication ceremony for the unveiling of James M. Rosser Hall; named after the University’s longest serving President. Many Cal State University Administrators who served during Rosser’s tenure were present to witness this special moment.

The afternoon was filled with praise and validation for the retired James M. Rosser, President Emeritus. This dedication comes at special time for Cal State LA, as the university is celebrating its 70th year of educating Angelinos and still gleaming after being named the number one university in the nation for upward mobility. For a greater part of those seventy years – thirty-four to be exact – Rosser served as University president. In addition to that, many of his efforts play a vital role in the results of that recent New York Times study regarding upward and social mobility.

Current University President William Covino, who took the reins following Rosser’s 2013 retirement, presented his predecessor with a proclamation. “The building that we name today, James M. Rosser Hall, is a permanent hallmark to President Rosser’s enumerable contributions. The great leaders of the future will study in this hall, great discoveries will be made in this hall and President Rosser’s legacy will continue for generations to come,” said Covino.

When Rosser took to the podium, he spent a great deal of time expressing gratitude and praise of the dedicated faculty who work to provide Cal State LA students with a world class education.

“Part of the reason why I came to Cal State Los is because the quality of the faculty at this institution,” said Rosser. “I remained here because the people here really did believe in what the mission of the institution said. And even though the neighborhood we were located in was beginning to change. Our commitment didn’t change relative to excellence with diversity. Quality with commitment and support.”

The College of Natural & Social Sciences, which is housed in the newly named hall, has a new dean. Although she has never worked with Rosser directly, in her speech she highlighted his efforts to support diversity, which are still evident after his retirement from Cal State LA.

“I arrived at Cal State LA long after Dr. Rosser’s retirement,” she said. “However since my arrival I’ve gotten to know President rosser through the great legacy and the work that has been done on this campus. For this wonderful science complex,  to our long history of graduating students of color who go on to earn Phd’s in STEM fields, president’s rosser’s commitment to excellence and diversity and his love for science is clear,” she added.

The dedication was followed by a reception that included a live jazz band, where attendees were able to mingle, shake hands, and congratulate President Rosseer. The newly named hall is is located in the Annenberg Science Complex.