Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

The Student Leader Awards recently honored the contributions of students and advisors

Pyae P Hein (left) and Osvaldo Castro (right) of Society of Hispanic Engineering and Science Students

Marcela Valdivia

Marcela Valdivia

Marcela Valdivia, Staff Reporter

On Tuesday May 9, Cal State LA came together to celebrate scholars at the University for the Student Leader Awards in the Golden Eagle Ballroom. The awards ceremony recognized students and advisors in activities, events, and contributions to  student organizations.

The Student Development Coordinator of the Center for Student Involvement welcomed students, staff, faculty, and administration to the awards ceremony. Students leaders and advisors in organizations were awarded for their achievements at Cal State LA and the Los Angeles area.

“Through various events, programs, initiative planned and implemented these leaders have illustrated their dedication and commitment to enhancing student life on campus,” said the Student Development Coordinator of the Center for Student Involvement.

Among the attendees were President William Covino, Dean of Students Jennifer Miller, Vice President of Student Affairs Nancy Wada-Mckee, Dean of Graduate Students Elliot Brown, Executive Director of the University-Student Union Stephen Fleischer, and Vice President of Administration and Finance Lisa Chavez.

President Covino emphasized the importance of being a leader and an example for other people to make the community and world a better place. He wants students to graduate and demonstrate leadership in their careers through multiple forms. More importantly, Covino highlighted that being a leader comes in the way one behaves and the way one behaves around others.

“As we populate Cal State LA in this community and as we leave here as graduates we are always teaching people lessons,” said President William Covino, “We are really leading their thinking of what it means to be a part of the human community and to be compassionate, kind, collaborative, tolerant, and all those good stuff.”

Christina Tsui, Coordinator for Alumni Programs and Engagement, presented awards to students who completed the U-Lead Program. Out of the 145 students who attended U-Lead workshops, only nine students were honored for completing the program. The U-Lead Program is designed for students to enhance their leadership skills on campus, in the community, and in their career.

“These individuals have definitely illustrated their commitment to developing their leadership, personal, and professional experience,” said Christina Tsui.

Michael Maksymowski, Fraternity and Sorority Life Coordinator, honored 28 students that completed the Leadership Advancement and Exploration Program (L.E.A.P). After seven interactive sessions, these students were able to discover personal leadership through discussions and activities.

Corina Magallanes, Assistant to the Dean of Students, recognized eight who completed the Leader League Program throughout the course of ten weeks in the spring semester. Students learned about relational leadership and explored personal values in order to create change.

Marielena Becerra, Associate Director of Center for Student Involvement, presented the Leadership Academy Award to three students who completed five programs from the Center of Student Involvement throughout their university career: U-Lead, L.E.A.P., The Legacy Experience, Leadership Retreat, and The Leader League. Eleven students were honored with the Golden Eagle Award of Excellence as well. These students impacted communities through volunteering as well as on campus as members of honor societies, mentors, and tutors.

Jennifer Miller, Dean of Students, presented the Outstanding Student Organization Officer Award. Gema Oros, Academic Chair of Hermanas Unidas, was recognized for encouraging members to complete sixteen study hours; hosting workshops to develop professionalism, and holding meditation workshops.

Carol Roberts-Corbs, Assistant Dean for Student Conduct, honored the Hispanic Business Society with the Outstanding Academic Program Awards. This organization implemented academic culture with study hours and raised funds to give to a member as an academic scholarship.

Ashley Joseph, Senior Coordinator of Student Engagement and Outreach, granted the Outstanding Service Community Award to the Hispanic Business Society and the Rehabilitation Counseling Association. The Hispanic Business Society gathered members to feed the less fortunate in Los Angeles and created lasting bonds. The Rehabilitation Counseling Association donated school supplies to students and offered tours at Cal State LA with inspirational speakers to motivate students.

Steve Fleischer, Director of the University Student Union, presented the Outstanding Student Organization Advisor Award. Out of seven nominees, Frances Siu from the Rehabilitation Counseling Association and Claudia Toledo-Corral from the Public Health Association were the award recipients.

Nancy Wada-McKee, Vice President for Student Life, presented the Student Organization Award for overall excellence in their activities. The winner was the Society of Hispanic Engineering and Science Students who aim to make students realize their potential in STEM fields.  

The Student Leader Awards highlighted student leaders and advisors on campus that continue to push boundaries at Cal State LA and in the community.

1 Comment

One Response to “Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar”

1. Adis Gharibian on May 16th, 2017 2:27 pm

Good job Pyae, I am so proud of you.
    Keep up the good work.
    Well done.

[Reply]

• Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

Online Arrangement Ends in Assault

• Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

2017 Commencement at Cal State LA

• Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

Twins from Saudi Arabia to receive doctoral degrees at Cal State LA Commencement

• Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

US Widening Income Gap Hits Close to Home

70-year-old grandmother to earn Doctor of Education at Cal State LA

• Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

Class project promotes immigrant rights

• Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

Marrian Zhou

• Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

Another moon-lit breakfast

• Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar

‘The people, the spirit and the heart’

Library Changes

Cal State LA Students Raise the Bar