Another moon-lit breakfast

CSI hosts annual evening breakfast for student organizations

The illuminated Art for the Moonlight Breakfast

Thomas Rodas

Thomas Rodas

Ricky Rodas, Managing Editor

Organizations at Cal State LA frequently host all sorts of events for students providing them with opportunities to relax from busy school schedules. On Tuesday night, May 10, the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) hosted their annual Moonlight Breakfast at the Golden Eagle Ballroom; an event specifically marketed as a break to ease students’ stress before finals week. On “Moonlight Breakfast’s” Cal State LA event info page, it reads, “Take a break from studying for final exams with a free breakfast. Free giveaways and food are available while supplies last.”

This short description did not provide much information regarding what to expect, yet a large amount of people showed up to take part in the festivities. The long line started in front of the Golden Eagle Ballroom three and snaked down the Golden Eagle Building staircase, all while attendees waited to receive their free food and gift. Attendees with a valid student ID received a voucher marked with a specific time designating when they  could receive their free goodies. A security volunteer was posted right in front of the food table and checked everyone’s tickets to ensure no one cut in  line.

Once they reached the food table,  attendees were treated to a free breakfast meal of scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, and pancakes. Serving their students were a few of the school’s administrators, one of which was the Dean of Students Jennifer Miller. The theme  was “the great outdoors”, and the room was decorated with camping items like  tents surrounding a fake campfire. DJ ‘Estradation’ from Golden Eagle Radio provided the musical entertainment, though most students opted to sit at their tables with homies and pig out.

One student, marketing major Justin Lyons, appreciated the warm atmosphere, though he mainly came “because of the food”, he said with a smile. “I didn’t really have any expectations, but it’s really cool that they went all out with the decorations and the music was really good,” Lyons said. “It went well. Everyone working was really nice and in a good mood, and like there was enough tables and seats and it seemed like it went pretty smoothly.”

The main organizer of Moonlight Breakfast was Campus Involvement Coordinator Sydney Torres. She briefly explained the process behind putting it together. “Once we have a theme, we build aspects of the event around it. In this case, we had a trail mix bar, canteen water bottle giveaways, and a Smokey the Bear photo opt,” Torres said. Torres was overall happy with how everything turned out, saying, “I think this semester’s Moonlight Breakfast was a huge success. We like to surprise students with new themes and this semester’s was the great outdoor.” Students will surely be back next year for some free food, free gifts, and some time away from stress-inducing papers and exams. If only the water bottles shut properly.