Call for Impeachment

Talk of impeachment lingers in Washington following Comey Memo and Trump’s meeting with Russian officials

Donald Trump speaking with supporters at a campaign rally in Phoenix, Arizona

Gage Skidmore

Gage Skidmore

Miguel Arriola, Intern

On Tuesday, May 16, top US national security advisor, H.R. McMaster commented on last week’s controversial Oval Office meeting with high level Russian officials saying, “In the context of that discussion, what the president discussed with the foreign minister was wholly appropriate to that conversation and is consistent with the routine sharing of information between the president and any leaders with whom he’s engaged.”  

The Washington Post notes that since presidential powers include broad authority to deem information to be declassified, President Trump’s revealing of information to the Russians is not likely to be illegal.  Still, the disclosure regarding possible Islamic State plans to blow up airliners by detonating a bomb in a laptop is being described by some as a leak, at least partly due to the fact that it was made to Russian officials.  

McMaster said the president did not know about the source of the intelligence and was not briefed on the subject matter.  He explains that the disclosure was made in the context of discussing Isis as a transnational terrorist organization and reminds the press that a Russian airliner was destroyed in October 2015 leaving 200 people dead.  While he states that no sources or methods were compromised, concerns have been voiced that the revelation could put delicate intelligence sources at risk, with some even speculating on who the potentially endangered source might be.

A potentially more damaging issue for the Trump Administration is the abrupt dismissal of former FBI Director James Comey, apparently over his involvement in investigating the Trump teams connections to the Russian government. This has largely been seen as an effort by Trump to obstruct that investigation.

This view was reinforced on May 16 by a New York Times report which cited a memo written by Mr. Comey.  The unclassified memo that The New York Times did not see, was read to a reporter by one of Comey’s associates.  In it Comey writes that he was asked in February by Donald Trump to stop the investigation into his former national security adviser Michael Flynn.  Trump reportedly told Comey, “I hope you can let this go.”  

Trump is also said to have discussed with Comey the possibility of imprisoning journalists that report leaked information.  Mr. Comey wrote the memo shortly after this meeting and informed senior FBI officials of its existence.  The White House denies the allegations in the memo while also on Tuesday, chairman of the House Oversight Committee, Jason Chaffetz, called on the FBI to hand over all “memoranda, notes, summaries, and recordings” regarding conversations between Trump and Comey.

It may be likely that this particular issue will feature prominently if any future impeachment process were to happen. This idea of impeachment is now a possibility given that as of Wednesday, May 17, Texas Democrat Al Green became the first congressperson to call for such an action from the floor of the House of Representatives.  

“I rise today Mr. Speaker to call for the impeachment of the President of the United States of America for obstruction of justice,” said Green.  Three Republican congress members; Carlos Curbelo, Justin Amash, and Walter Jones, have also voiced that Trump may have committed an impeachable offense.