Success Stories Continue in Grad School

Graduates embark upon new journey at prestigious universities

Graduate holding their Diploma at Cal State LA's Commencement

Emilio Flores

Emilio Flores

Marcela Valdivia, Staff Reporter

It is the most anticipated time of the year where nationwide, countless graduation candidates wait for the day to move their tassel from the right, to the left. After years of exams, papers, presentations, and projects, Cal State LA students finally walk across the big stage to receive their degrees. Students have left a mark on the Cal State LA campus, as they embark on successful journeys after graduation.

“One of my long term goals was to finish my bachelor’s degree,” said Fabiola Covarrubias, Communication Studies major. “I feel that I have accomplished something in life and I am looking forward to what the next chapter will be. It is a very happy moment for my family and myself.”

Andreína Thielen Martin earned her Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Science and a minor in Spanish in the University’s Honors College program. After years at Cal State LA, she was able to build a foundation to educate others about food. She will be attending Cornell University to obtain a Master’s Degree in Public Health with a specialization in Food Systems for Global Health beginning in the fall of 2017. Her career goal is to teach at the university level and enlighten students.

“I take with me a wealth of knowledge, particularly in the natural and social sciences. Although my graduate program at Cornell University is not research based, I hope to one day continue onto a Ph.D. in order to combine my love for academia, research and community work. Cornell University may sound intimidating, but I know everything I learned while at Cal State LA will serve as an excellent foundation,” said Andreína Thielen Martin.

Ethan Villarama received a Bachelor of Science in Physics at the age of only sixteen years old after enrolling in the Early Entrance Program. He will be attending UC San Diego in the fall to earn a doctoral degree in physics. After concluding his doctoral program, he wants to become a scientist. His involvement in Minority Opportunities in Research (MORE) programs, internships, research, and experiments has shaped him into a successful student throughout his educational career.

José Omar Castellón obtained a Master of Science degree in Chemistry after developing a deep interest in scientific research. He will continue his studies at UCLA’s Molecular Biology Interdepartmental Ph.D Program this fall after receiving the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship. His career aspirations are to work in the biosciences or pharmaceutical industry.

Marrian Zhou obtained a double major in Communication Studies and Music. She served as Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor of the University Times where she was able to showcase her talent for writing. She will be attending Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism with the goal of becoming a foreign correspondent. Cal State LA has shaped her into becoming a professional in the field she aspires to be in.

“Be careful with all your sources and find a really good lawyer who can guide you through the gray area in press law. Also, never be scared to stand up for what is right. The Class of 2017, after years of dedication will go out into the world to pursue their greatest aspiration and continue to make their families’ proud,” said Zhou.

The Class of 2017 crosses the stage with a multitude of career aspirations to conquer after graduation.

“Graduating college was my goal ever since I can remember to make both of my parents proud. Now that I am finally going to pursue this goal I feel like I have done something good for myself and my future,” said Paola Lopez, Communication Studies major and Spanish minor.