2017 LA Concert Series Guide

Santa Monica Concert Series

Santa Monica Concert Series

David Zygielbaum

David Zygielbaum

Santa Monica Concert Series

Kyle Frizol, Staff Reporter

As the tumultuous and stressful days of finals fade out behind us, the warm, sunny days of summer lie ahead. Whether traveling to the beach to soak up the sun with friends, journeying to the far off places that you’ve longed to visit, or enjoying the wide range of live music offered throughout Los Angeles, the city is absolutely alive and vibrant during these summer months.

Throughout the end of May and into August, Los Angeles will be home to a plethora of concert series, live music spectacles, and one-off musical events. With so many options to choose from, and dozens of festivals, venues, and concerts to sift through, it’s easy to become overwhelmed and want to step back from it all. This is your guide to navigating LA’s lively exhibition of music and culture, all whilst enjoying the lighthearted innocence of it all.

Of the dozens of one-off locations that offer local performances, it’s easy to list hundreds of individual bars, restaurants, and individual venues that have scheduled events throughout summer. For the sake of time and sanity, this guide focuses on the biggest and most relevant concerts and events that will satisfy any musical connoisseurs’ wildest dream.

From June 22, and continuing all the way until August 17, the Twilight Concert Series at Santa Monica Pier will continue its tradition of hosting free concerts on the sand for all Angelenos to enjoy. Across eight consecutive weeks (save for July 6), the series will feature artists of the likes as R&B singer Khalid, LeMaitre, and local LA hit Warpaint.

Continuing throughout the most iconic LA destinations, LACMA will continue its jazz series into summer, performing every Friday and Saturday evening. Entry is free to all concert-goers. LA native jazz performers such as Dr. Bobby Rodriguez will be performing throughout the summer.

The Getty is also following suit, in the form of its Off the 405 concert series, from 6 to 9p.m. on Saturday evenings. Local artists such as White Fence and La Luz will be performing. Admission is free for the concerts.

LA is also offering its Concerts on the Green, a free concert experience throughout the summer, specifically from June 11 – August 20, excluding July 2. Located in Woodland Hills, at the Lou Bredlow Pavilion in Warner Park, the Concerts on the Green schedule is set for Sundays from 6 to 8pm. Musicians and cover artists such as Ticket to Ride (A Beatles Tribute), The Platters, Which One’s Pink (A Pink Floyd Cover Band), and Queen Nation (A Queen Cover Band).

Regardless of the taste in music, preference of location, or desire to explore, Los Angeles is offering countless opportunities to celebrate the lighthearted, endless days of summer, alongside friends, family, and beautiful music that captures the season’s mood. The most exciting part of all – you can enjoy all of the concerts and events listed above without spending a dollar. The beauty of free music alongside gorgeous weather is the perfect opportunity for college students who are ready to enjoy the bounties of summer.