NBA Finals 2017

Cavaliers and Warriors face off for NBA Finals

The Golden State Warriors and the Cleveland Cavaliers at the NBA Finals

Djanimal

Djanimal

Mike Nelson, Contributor

On Thursday June 1, two bitter rivals will start a seven-game series for a third consecutive season in the NBA Finals. With LeBron James on the Cleveland side, this will be his seventh straight NBA finals appearance. It is objectively an incredible feat, and a record that most likely will never be broken.

He started this streak in the 2010-2011 season, his first with the Miami Heat where he was in the finals and lost in six games to the Dallas Mavericks. He then went on to be in the finals for the next three seasons all while on the Miami Heat. The last three seasons he has continued the trend with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The last time LeBron wasn’t paying in the NBA finals was in 2010, when the Los Angeles Lakers won their last championship, defeating the Boston Celtics in a very memorable seven game series. But enough about LeBron James, let’s preview this great Finals matchup.

Last season when the Cavaliers and Warriors met in the NBA finals, the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the series and proceeded to lose the next 3 games, including Games 5 and 7 with home court advantage. Over the summer, the Warriors signed Kevin Durant which has definitely made the team even more dominant, having gone 12-0 in these playoffs. The Warriors are now only the third team in NBA history to go undefeated in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs.

This Finals matchup has been yearned by the NBA and its fans all season long. Last year’s Game 7 was watched by close to 28 Million people according to the Nielsen ratings. Many people are excited to see Kevin Durant in his first Playoff Finals with the Golden State Warriors and have hope that he can be the key in this series.

The Golden State Warriors are going to have trouble once again guarding LeBron James and Kyrie Irving. Coming off the bench for the Cavaliers will be Kyle Korver and Deron Williams, both midseason acquisitions for this team. Both of these players are very streaky shooters and make this Cleveland bench even more dangerous than it already is. During finals last year, the bench made a big difference in that Game 7 victory.

Another factor of this series will be the rebound battle. The Warriors get most of their rebounding from Draymond Green, while the Cavaliers have Tristan Thompson, Kevin Love and LeBron James who are all very good rebounders. Kevin Durant will have to be at the top of his game in this entire series for the Warriors to have a chance at this championship.

Also, if Kevin Love gets hot, I think the Warriors may be in trouble, especially if Klay Thompson on the Warrior doesn’t start playing better, his playoffs have been dismal. Thompson has been shooting 38 percent from the field, and only averaging 11 to 14 points a game.

My theory is that the Cavaliers take this series in seven games, but it should be one heck of a series and undoubtedly an unforgettable one.