Shut Up and Play Ball

Facebook

Gregory Bates, Contributor

Colin Kaepernick, former Quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, has drawn both criticism and support during last year’s NFL season when he refused to stand for U.S. National Anthem to protest the unjust treatment people of color. Some of the cases as to why he refused to stand was police brutality, racism, etc.

When the NFL season ended, he opted out of his 16-million-dollar contract because he had the choice of either opting out or being released, so he chose to opt out. As this year’s NFL season approaches, Kaepernick is still without a job, and other quarterbacks like Nick Foles, 38-year-old Josh Mccow, Geno Smith and others have been signed. It is obvious that Colin is being blackballed by the NFL. Josh, Geno, Nick, and other quarterbacks who got signed, are not better than Colin. A 90 percent passing rating with a horrible 49ers team with no support around says a lot about Colin’s skills. Unlike Colin, those guys have never been to a Super Bowl and was a few plays away from winner the Super Bowl.

This is clearly a state of blackballing and if anyone disagrees let’s look at the facts. Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of rape on two occasions, Michael Vick admitted to dog fighting, Adrian Peterson abused his son, Ray Lewis was accused of murder, and Josh Brown admitted to beating his wife. Every one of these players got second chances to play in the NFL.

Therefore, society is teaching people that it’s OK to beat women, rape women, abuse children, kill dogs, and murder people and you get a second chance to play in the NFL, but kneeling for a piece of cloth and a racist national anthem is not OK. Society needs to get straight on what’s right and wrong. I am glad and forever in support of Kaepernick on his brave stance. He refused to simply shut up and play ball.

1 Comment

One Response to “Shut Up and Play Ball”

1. Dr. Necessitor on July 1st, 2017 6:44 am

Apples and oranges Mr. Bates. Roethlisberger, Vick, Peterson, Lewis, etc. went through the legal system and were either found not guilty or guilty and then they served their time. In either case, society must be satisfied that justice has been served. That’s big part of our societal contract.

On the other hand, we Americans love our country, our flag and our anthem, so Mr. Kaepernick violates our social contract when he refuses to honor them. He breaks no law in doing so, and I fully support his right as an American to express his opinion both verbally and symbolically without fear of government sanction or violence from fellow citizens. But I also support the right of NFL owners to blackball him for expressing an opinion that is anathema to so many Americans because signing him will harm the reputation and bottom-line of that franchise. So I agree with you that NFL owners are black balling Kaepernick. And as a fan of the Cowboys, I also support Jerry Jones’s public edict that he will cut any member of the team who refuses to stand for the anthem. Neither side is inherently wrong in this case.

[Reply]

• Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

Kendall and Kylie Need to Stick to What They Know: Lip Gloss

• Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

Hypocrisy of the Alt Right

• Opinion

Please, don’t be that customer

• Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

How Useful Is Our TVF Degree?

• Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

Has the Presidency become a joke?

• Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

Why can’t I fail classes?

• Opinion

Sorry Kid, They Don’t Advertise That On the White House

• Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

Rhetoric or Right-Wing Revolution?

• Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

Springing into Break

• Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

Taking Cal State LA to New Places

Shut Up and Play Ball