Filed under News, Showcase

Suspect charged in the death of 19-year-old student

The boyfriend of a young Cal State LA student has been charged with her murder

Nancy Ester Mederos

GoFundMe

Nancy Ester Mederos

Nancy Ester Mederos Gudino was found dead Friday, June 30 at a motel in Baldwin Park, CA. She was discovered at a motel located in the 13900 block of Francisquito Ave at approximately 2p.m. by Baldwin Park Police responding to a “keep the peace call”, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau.

As stated in court documents obtained by the University Times, “on or between June 24, 2017 and June 27, 2017” is when Mederos was murdered. On July 5, at the Pomona Courthouse, Nicolas Figueroa Manos, 31, was charged with one count of murder for the death of his girlfriend, Nancy Mederos.

Manos, began his studies at Cal State LA in fall 2008 and was last enrolled during the spring semester of 2017, according to the Cal State LA Registrar’s Office.

An autopsy was performed on Mederos’ body and it has since been released. However, the cause of death has not been specified. Investigators are awaiting the results from toxicology reports, which can take anywhere from six to nine months, according to Rayna Hernandez of the LA County Medical Examiner’s office.

A campuswide email written by President William Covino was sent out to the University community addressing the death of Nancy Mederos. “Nancy enrolled at Cal State LA in the summer of 2015 and was an important part of our community. Friends have described her as a caring, intelligent young woman with a lively personality.”

Edith, Mederos’ sister, created a gofundme page titled “Justice for Nancy Mederos”.   The fundraiser’s goal is to raise $25,000; nearly $20k was donated in a span of just a few days. Famed tattoo artist Kat Von D is listed on the page as making two separate donations of $5000.  

In the fundraiser’s description Mederos’ sister Edith writes, “Nancy Ester Mederos was murdered by her boyfriend at a motel. Without any pity, he beat her to death after an argument… unfortunately, it wasn’t the force of God, but a man named Nicolas Figueroa Manos who ‘claimed’ to love her [that] took her life away.”  

Edith says her sister Nancy was a “caring, funny, beautiful, young woman who cared for all her loved ones,” and that, “everyone had high hopes for her future.”  Mederos’ Family wants to “bring justice to Nancy” in order to combat domestic violence and hopes that her case “brings awareness and finds a way to prevent other people from losing a loved one this way.”

—————————————————————————————————————–

19-year-old student found dead

Cal State LA student Nancy Mederos was found dead and although her family claims she was murdered, the official cause of death is still unknown.

Nancy Ester Mederos Gudino was found dead Friday, June 30 at a motel in Baldwin Park, CA. She was discovered at the motel located in the 13900 block of Francisquito Ave at approximately 2 p.m. by Baldwin Park Police Department officers responding to a “keep the peace call”, Deputy Ryan Rouzan of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau said in a written statement.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Detectives are currently assisting Baldwin Park PD in the investigation.

An autopsy has been performed and the body has been released, yet the cause of death has not been specified. Investigators are awaiting the results of the toxicology reports, which can take anywhere from six to nine months, according to Rayna Hernandez of LA County Medical Examiner’s office.

On July 7, a campus wide email written by Cal State LA President William Covino was sent out to the campus community addressing the death of Nancy Mederos. “The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is investigating Nancy’s death as a possible homicide. A suspect, who is believed to be a Cal State LA student, has been arrested. There is no threat to the University community,” Covino wrote. No charges have been filed against the alleged suspect.

“Nancy enrolled at Cal State LA in the summer of 2015 and was an important part of our community. Friends have described her as a caring, intelligent young woman with a lively personality.”

On July 6, her sister Edith Mederos created a gofundme page titled “Justice for Nancy Mederos”.   The fundraiser’s goal is to raise $25,000; nearly $20k has been donated in a span of just a few days. Famed tattoo artist Kat Von D is listed on the page as making the 2 highest donations, $5,000 each.  

Manos, 32, began his studies at Cal State LA in fall 2008 and was last enrolled during the spring semester of 2017, according to Cal State LA’s Registrar’s Office.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Suspect charged in the death of 19-year-old student”

1. Art S on July 12th, 2017 6:46 pm

Don’t get a girlfriend if you are not ready. If you have personal issues to take care of, deal with them. Girlfriends are not things to get by and then you beat them when you are not satisfied.

[Reply]

2. Cy Husain on July 13th, 2017 2:46 pm

Objectification of Women and domestic violence are serious issues that play significantly in many homicides that are committed against Women. For now let’s wait for the facts of this specific case to come out before commenting on the issues applicable to this tragic incident. What we do know is that we lost a lovely young Woman with a promising future way before her time!

[Reply]

3. Kennedy on July 15th, 2017 6:10 am

What kind of headline is this? She was found with severe trauma to her chest in a room with Nicolas Figueroa Manos of CSULA because he did nothing about it for 3-6 days. She was murdered where is your sympathy and respect for her family? For her justice?

[Reply]

Cy Husain Reply:

The suspect Nicholas Figueroa Manos has been charged with her murder and, his arraignment is coming up on July 26 at the L.A. County Superior Court’s Pomona Courthouse South. He is presumed innocent until proven guilty, with the unlikely possibility that Nancy Ester Mederos Gudino’s injuries that resulted in her death were the result of something other than her boyfriend assaulting her and him just being negligent in calling for medical assistance; he is looking at serious prison time. With this kind of conviction going into prison the other inmates are likely to want to find out just how tough Nicholas Figueroa Manos really is in a fight with someone other than a 19 year old girl! If he gets out of prison after many years of severe trauma and likely suffering from mental illness as a result, his life on the outside won’t exactly be welcoming for him as a convicted felon.

Seeking some type of gratification in vengeance is NOT going to help any victims or solve any of the underlying problems at the heart of the matter. The Cal State LA President William Covino should be working on lowering Student Fees at Cal State LA and advocating for the interests for students so that a 19 year old student does NOT have to end up living with a 32 year old at a motel. PUBLIC investments in Higher Education and, housing would go a long way at keeping students (especially females) from being accessible to predators.

[Reply]

4. Nick rosales on July 18th, 2017 1:54 pm

I know father Mr Mederos, as a hard working professional electrician.
    It’s with a heavy hard that I & our associates give your family our condolence to your loss of your precious daughter.
    As a side note: I’m a CSLA alumni, and that little punk is too old to be a student.
    Beware of morons that make being a student a life time profession.

[Reply]

Emilija Torbešic Reply:

Yes I too am upset over the untimely death of Nancy Mederos but, scapegoating nontraditional students (outside the age group of 18-24) is also unacceptable! Many nontraditional students have spent more than a few years working and even serving in the military, the University clearly benefits from their experience.

Most attacks on young Women on Campus by other Students including date rape, are committed by white males of privilege like frat boys in the 18-24 age group. Recall the Stanford Rapist who is always referred to in the right wing corporate owned media as the “Stanford Swimmer?”

What is at fault here is a system of patriarchy that empowers men to exploit Women in general!

[Reply]

sam cunningham Reply:

Scapegoating is unacceptable, but let’s blame white males tho!

[Reply]

Emilija Torbešic Reply:

Reality is that white males have been in a position of POWER and the perpetrators of the vast majority of human atrocities! You might want to read: State of White Supremacy: Racism, Governance, and the United States
    Moon-Kie Jung, ‎João H. Costa Vargas, ‎Eduardo Bonilla-Silva – 2011
    State of White Supremacy investigates how race functions as an enduring logic of governance in the United States, perpetually generating and legitimating racial hierarchy and privilege. The well writer essays in this book incisively probe and critique the U.S. racial state through a broad range of topics, including citizenship, education, empire, gender, genocide, geography, incarceration, Islamophobia, migration and border hysteria.
    Now I know you can find exceptions through out history where Non-whites and Women my have done something to harm a privileged white male and, I don’t condone that behavior. If a group of Minority Teenaged Girls raped you, I would not be cheering them on!

5. Brenda on August 21st, 2017 3:09 pm

This is so upsetting I’m a student at csula and I know this f*** tard was a tutor/mentor at the school! CSULA should be more careful of who they hire because this could happen to any other girl on campus and it’s messed up if they haven’t reached out to the family because they have part of the fault as well for hiring people like him

[Reply]

Edith Mederos Reply:

Hello, you stated you know he mentors/tutors where can I get a hold of his superviser? I am Nancys sister and have been trying to get ahold of his bosses. Thanks

[Reply]

Cal State LA offers financial assistance to DACA recipients

• Suspect charged in the death of 19-year-old student

RISE Above the Statistics

Tackling the Freshmen Blues

Cal State LA kicks off Café Night

North Korean Nuclear Threat

Parking Problems

Conversations on Race

ANTIFA and Alt-Right Clash, Again

The Legacy of Dr. Lujan

Hurricane Harvey Debilitates Texas Coastline