Kendall and Kylie Need to Stick to What They Know: Lip Gloss

Anny Haro, Contributor

I remember when I was younger I had a really cheesy Photoshopped picture of me and Zac Efron and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Who wouldn’t want to be Photoshopped with an awesome celebrity? Well, turns out Kendall and Kylie Jenner thought the same thing, but it didn’t turn out so well considering they were given so much backlash from other celebrities. The sisters recently released a new line of T-shirts that included their faces with other celebrities. This would be awesome for any other ordinary person to do but not the Jenner sisters. Their negative, self-centered type image that the media projects of them has allowed for other celebrities to pressure them to disband the T-shirt line. Given the success of their beauty products and clothing lines with Pac Sun and Nordstrom, I think Kendall and Kylie made the right decision in pulling this T-shirt line.

Like many of the other pricey items that the Jenners and Kardashians sell, the Jenner sisters’ T-shirt line, which consisted of nothing more than their faces fading against other celebrities, like Tupac, notorious B.I.G., and Ozzy Osborne, sell for about $125. Feel robbed? I know I would. Many celebrities featured on their T-shirts, took offense. Some claim that the Jenner sisters had no right to profit off their celebrities faces. Sharon Osborne was quick to call out the girls tweeting, “Girls, you haven’t earned the right to put your face with musical icons. Stick to what you know…lip gloss.” Ouch!

Of course, when you use unauthorized photos, claim them as your own, and try to profit off of them like Kendall and Kylie did, lawsuits are sure to come up. The sisters are currently facing a lawsuit from Michael Miller, the photographer that took Tupac’s picture used in one of their shirts. Miller states that the girls “have misappropriated and wrongfully exploited” two of his pictures of Tupac. The T-shirt had Tupac in the background and a silhouette-like screenshot of one of Kylie’s Instagram pictures. The picture of her is quite provocative as she’s posed over a small brick wall in a bikini. I could see why the families of these artists would be upset; the girls weren’t exactly using the “nicest” pictures of themselves. When I would Photoshop myself with my celebrity crush of the month, it was never this serious but then again, I only did it so I would have a cool profile picture for social media, never to sell that picture. Who would want that picture anyways? The sisters really should have let the families of those celebrities know that they were going to do something like this and get their permission. Although they probably wouldn’t have gotten permission from them, it never hurts to ask.

Considering all the backlash, Kendall and Kylie have disbanded their T-shirt line and apologized via social media. Kendal shared on her Instagram, “these designs were not well thought out and we deeply apologize to anyone that has been upset and/or offended, especially to the families of the artists.” I thought this was something very bold of them to do considering how much hate they receive on a daily basis for being Jenners/Kardashians. Kendall ended her message with, “The tee shirts have been pulled from retail and all images have been removed. We will use this as an opportunity to earn from these mistakes and again, we are very sorry.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Kendall and Kylie Need to Stick to What They Know: Lip Gloss”

1. Dawood Davis on August 2nd, 2017 6:33 pm

The desperation for publicity by wannabe celebrities, let’s not encourage them!

[Reply]

• Kendall and Kylie Need to Stick to What They Know: Lip Gloss

Opinion

Why are NFL Players Taking Knee?

Opinion

Hypocrisy of the Alt Right

• Opinion

Please, don’t be that customer

Opinion

How Useful Is Our TVF Degree?

Opinion

Shut Up and Play Ball

Opinion

Has the Presidency become a joke?

Opinion

Why can’t I fail classes?

• Opinion

Sorry Kid, They Don’t Advertise That On the White House

Opinion

Rhetoric or Right-Wing Revolution?

Opinion

Springing into Break