Pitch This!

Covino set to throw out first pitch at Cal State LA’s annual Dodger Night

Cal State LA Dodger Night

Cal State LA Dodger Night

Public Affairs

Public Affairs

Cal State LA Dodger Night

Carlos Gomez, Managing Editor

On Sept. 22, Golden Eagles are invited to celebrate the second annual Cal State LA Night at Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers will be facing off against their bay area rival, the San Francisco Giants.

To honor Cal State LA at the event, university President William Covino will be throwing the honorary first pitch of the game. The tradition of giving an individual the honor to throw the first pitch before a baseball game was started over 100 years ago in 1910 by President William Taft, according to Biography. com.

The Dodgers have defeated the Giants in the past three meetings, all by a slim margin, and look to continue their winning streak throughout their series during the week of Sept. 12. Moreover, the Dodgers have triumphed over both the Chicago White Sox and the San Diego Padres this season. The Dodgers will also play against the Detroit Tigers in their upcoming schedule.

The Giants have recently faced off against the Miami Marlins, suffering two losses in the three-game series. This streak seems to be a flashback to what happened when the Giants faced off against the Washington Nationals earlier this month. Before facing off against the Dodgers, they will face the Philadelphia Phillies.

Cal State LA students, staff, and faculty who purchase their tickets through www.dodgers.com/calstatela, www.calstatela.edu/events/dodgers-night, or the Alumni Office at (323) 343-2586 will also receive a special edition Dodgers baseball cap, in black and gold to commemorate the University. On top of it all, there will be a firework show at the end of the game to celebrate the evening.

Vanessa Gomez, a sophomore majoring in Psychology, expressed her excitement about the event. “I think it’s important to unite as a campus and have a little fun,
especially with everything going on,” she said. “It’ll be a fun distraction for everyone.”

Bring out your favorite Cal State LA gear, and bring your friends to show off your school spirit. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www. calstatela.edu.