Zoom app now available

New Zoom mobile app to improve online collaboration among university community.

Example of conference while utilizing the Zoom app

Zoom Video Communications

Zoom Video Communications

Cal State LA recently replaced Adobe Connect with Zoom, a video conferencing platform. It is now available, at no additional cost, to students, faculty and staff. As college students, it’s no secret that group assignments can sometimes be stressful. Finding ways to effectively communicate while working around different schedules can be a hassle, and finding the right time for peers to meet up can prove overwhelming.

For some students collaborating online tends to be the fastest solution, it is common for students and instructors to accommodate new platforms to meet each other’s needs. However, a new conference app the market has the potential to change this reality.

With Zoom, students can virtually host or join video conferences, engage in group messaging, and hold scheduled meetings available to a maximum of 200 participants. Once they join, members can collaborate with one another via smartphone, tablet, or desktop. These video conferences can be accessed through the Cal State LA Zoom Link, a Moodle Course, or by creating a meeting ID on the app or website.

Beverly Bondad-Brown, the Director of Academic Technology at the Center of Effective Teaching and Learning said, “With Adobe Connect, we only had licensing for faculty and staff to open rooms, but with our Zoom licensing, now any student, faculty, or staff has access to create meeting rooms, so that’s sort of an added benefit. It’s sort of like a tool available to anyone at Cal State LA and they get to decide how to use it.”

“The problem is that everyone would have to download it, make an account, and there’s such a big hassle, and this is just more straightforward [in comparison to video conferencing on Skype],” said freshman Conrad Viera.

Founded in 2011, CEO Eric Yuan created Zoom with a vision to not only build the next generation of video conferencing, but also give its users the best virtual experience possible. Now serving over 650,000 companies, Zoom has built a list of clients ranging from organizations in healthcare, technology, and higher education.

Zoom also offers a live screen sharing option that allows users to quickly present their work, presentations, and videos. Not only is this a benefit to the students, but also to instructors who decide to post lectures and host online office hours.

Aside from video conferencing, Zoom can also be utilized to upload images and audio files directly from various mobile devices.

“Everyone’s schedules so different, so sometimes people won’t respond until much, much, much later, if they even do,” said senior Paige Hutsell. “The fact that you can just upload from your phone. Sometimes we don’t have time to get to our laptop and work on it, so if we have stuff we can just do it on the go.”

Cal State LA is now among a list of CSU’s who have made the switch to Zoom. As students continue to utilize the streamlined processes of Zoom, the future of the app lies within its continued innovation.

Zoom is available for download at the app store, and can be accessed by logging into a Cal State LA account.