ANTIFA and Alt-Right Clash, Again

Bay area protest turns violent leaving dozens injured.

Lima Ohia Antifa

Lima Ohia Antifa

Official columbus ohio antifa

Official columbus ohio antifa

Lima Ohia Antifa

J. Aaron Delgado, Danny Robles, Managine Editor, Deputy Copy Editor

A “Rally Against Hate” took place on Sunday, Aug. 27 in Berkeley, CA to protest a planned anti-Marxist gathering in the Bay Area. Despite the right-wing gathering being cancelled, thousands still came together from the left, right, and those that strictly support Trump.

The protest became violent when several right-wing protesters and Trump supporters were pursued by groups chanting, “Nazis go home!”

Fights broke out between protesters at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center. Video taken at the scene helped identify the perpetrator as an anti-fascist protester, who beat an alt-right protester. The violence prompted a large police presence in Berkeley.

Protesters were arrested on multiple charges including: carrying banned items such as clubs, which could serve as a weapon, and violating regulations involving covered faces.

KRON-TV, a local San Francisco news station, reported that the police arrested 13 people on charges that extended from assault with a lethal weapon, to violations of city code. According to CNN, police stated that one officer was injured during an arrest and others were hit with paint. Paramedics treated six people, two of which were hospitalized.

Berkeley Mayor, Jesse Arreguín, expressed his views on the events that happened that Sunday on social media.

“I applaud the more than 7,000 people who came out today to peacefully oppose bigotry, hatred and racism that we saw on display in Charlottesville,” Arreguín said on Facebook; “However, the violence that a small group of protesters engaged in against residents and the police, including throwing smoke bombs, is unacceptable. Fighting hate with hate does not work and only makes each side more entrenched in their ideological camps.”

In response to antifa members in black violently attacking conservative protesters, Arreguín requested University of California (UC) Berkeley to cancel plans to host conservative provocateur,
Milo Yiannopoulos, during “Berkeley Free Speech Week” this month. The event is hosted by the Berkeley Patriot, a conservative campus newspaper.

UC Berkeley spokesperson Dan Mogulof responded by saying: “We have neither the legal right nor ability to interfere with or cancel [students groups’] invitations based on the perspectives and beliefs of the speakers.”

The situation caught the attention of President Trump, who addressed the probability of stopping funds for the school because it is a public university.

“If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view — NO FEDERAL FUNDS?” tweeted Trump.

Arreguín supports the first amendment, telling the San Francisco Chronicle: “I obviously believe in freedom of speech, but there is a line between freedom of speech and then posing a risk to public safety.”