Make It Rain

Mayweather claims victory over McGregor with perfect 50-0 record

Floyd Mayweather Jr. lands haymaker agianst Conor McGregor

Mark J. Rebilas

Michael Levitsky, Contributor

Last week, fans of both boxing and UFC finally saw Floyd “Money” Mayweather and Conor McGregor battle it out in Las Vegas. From a marketing perspective, this was the most anticipated fight of the century and certainly unlike any we had ever seen. No boxing match in recent memory had as much build up as this mega fight. Maybe because a professional UFC fighter with no professional boxing experience, took on a world champion boxer with a 49-0 record returning from a 2-year hiatus from the sport. Several press conferences were held nationwide and in the U.K. leading up to the bout. These wildly entertaining press conferences included McGregor saying that Mayweather could not read; he also sent fans into a craze when it was discovered that the pinstripes on one of his suits was replaced with the words “F**k you”. Mayweather on the other hand, guaranteed the media a victory against McGregor.

After months of anticipation, the stage was finally set. Fans of Floyd stated Conor had zero chance; fans of Conor stated that Mcgregor had what it took to knock Mayweather out. Fans of both just wanted a good show and reassurance that their $100 Pay-Per-View charge would not be a complete waste.

The first few rounds of the fight seemed to be more intriguing than expected, as McGregor came out swinging hard, leading many to believe that he was leading the scorecard halfway through the bout. After Round 5, fatigue clearly began to set in for McGregor, as each swing from the Irishman took more and more out of him. At the same time, experience began to pay dividends for “Money”, as he stayed poised and used his world class defense to dodge and counter many of McGregor’s shots. Halfway through Round 10, referee Robert Byrd had seen McGregor take enough blows to the head, and ended the fight, awarding Mayweather the victory by technical knockout (TKO).

Make no mistake by the outcome of this fight; nobody was a loser here. Mayweather got the victory and brought his professional record to a perfect 50-0, as well as a very large payday ($100 MILLION, hence his nickname). McGregor, although losing, gained respect from a wide array of athletes and fans for lasting as long as he did against one of the greatest of this generation, as well as walking away with $30 million. And of course, the fans. From hilarious press conferences to the main event, we had the privilege to watch two gifted and boastful superstars go head to head and make a seemingly pointless fight entertaining. There were no losers last Saturday night, we were all winners.