North Korean Nuclear Threat

U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley addresses a UN Security Council open debate on Enhancing African capacities in peace and security at the UN headquarters in New York, on July 19, 2017.-Xinhua (Tribune news service)

Xinhua ; Tribune News Service

Xinhua ; Tribune News Service

Malerie Wilkins, Staff Reporter

North Korea performed its sixth nuclear test on Sunday, Sept. 3. The resulting explosion set off a magnitude 6.3 earthquake at a depth of 23 kilometers, with tremors that could be felt as far as South Korea and China.

Immediately, powers throughout the world reacted to North Korea’s abrasive negligence to previous warnings made by the U.S., Japan, and Russia in regards to nuclear development.

As experts analyze North Korea’s nuclear Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) threat to the U.S., President Trump has already begun taking action. In response to the North’s nuclear testing, Trump has expanded the U.S. military’s presence in the Asia-Pacific region, where tens of thousands of U.S. troops are already stationed.

Considering the current tension between the United States and North Korea, it is uncertain as to what lies in the immediate future for the two countries. However, each of North Korea’s successive nuclear tests moves the U.S. closer to military action.

“We’ll see what happens. Certainly, that’s [military action] not our first choice, but we will see what happens,” said President Trump.

Nikki Haley, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations (UN), said that North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong Un, is, “begging for war.”

She called for members of the UN to exhaust all possible diplomatic measures and impose urgent economic sanctions to prevent war.

President Trump’s national security advisers described the administration’s plan to deal with the North Korean threat in two classified briefings in Washington last Wednesday. Lawmakers described the plan as a practical assessment of the United States approach to dealing with North Korea.

In an effort to avoid military conflict by debilitating North Korea’s economy, Trump said, “The United States is considering, in addition to other options, stopping all trade with any country doing business with North Korea.”

Some Cal State LA students have a hard time believing the president.

“When Trump says things are going to be fine, it’s hard to believe because he said that global warming was a madeup thing,” said Madelyn Ellese.

The United States is preparing for all options to avert the growing threats from North Korea, including launching a preventive war,” said National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster in an interview with MSNBC.

As North Korea continues to escalate the already tense climate between the U.S. and its allies, its actions are beginning to force leaders’ hands.