Breaking Even

Golden Eagles unable to clinch the win in double overtime.

A day after their match with Point Loma, the Women's Soccer team was back on the field.

Cara Gonzales

Cara Gonzales

Mike Nelson, Staff Reporter

Last Tuesday, Cal State LA Women’s Soccer faced off against Point Loma University in San Diego.

Point Loma Sea Lions scored early in the game and the Golden Eagles soon answered with a goal from junior, Ashli Villalobos. This left the game tied at 1-1.

“It felt amazing; it’s always hard to get your first goal of the season. Once you get your first, more goals will start coming,” said Villalobos. “After that goal, I had a lot of energy and the team was super pumped.”

Team Captain felt the team’s overall performance and a few missed opportunities in the beginning of the match.

“I think we did well overall. There were a couple chances that we missed in the first half, but it happens. I am proud of my team though, which I will be no matter what,” said  Zarette Munoz-Aguilar.

Junior, Tatiana Zuvic, also spoke about her role as one of the Golden Eagle team captains.

“I have been under the coaches for three years. It definitely helps keeping in mind what the coaches expect. I am also strong willed, so I believe that my team feeds off my energy.”

The game remained at 1-1 as the Golden Eagles and Sea Lions continued into double overtime. Neither team scored as the overtime periods came to an end, which resulted in a tie for each team.

As the Golden Eagles move through their schedule, they continue competing to be a contender in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA), which is the Division II conference of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).