Battle of the Sexes

New film tells the story of Billie Jean King’s famous tennis history that helped signify the beginning of professional women’s sports.

Emma Stone as

Emma Stone as "Billie Jean King" and Steve Carell as "Bobby Riggs" in BATTLE OF THE SEXES.

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Toni Reveles, Contributor

The new movie, “Battle of the Sexes”, opened in theaters worldwide on Sept. 29. The movie focuses on the famous tennis match between Cal State LA alumna, Billie Jean King, and professional tennis player, Bobby Riggs, which was viewed by 90 million people.

The movie tells the story of how the bet started between the two, as well as the life of each individual at the time.

The movie held premieres in Los Angeles and New York, where King attended both. In the movie, King was 29 years old and married to her Cal State LA sweetheart, Larry King. She had not yet come to terms with the fact that she was gay.

In an interview with Access Hollywood Live, King said that the movie is about much more than tennis, but about equality.

“I want this film to be relevant to the younger generations, like the Millennials and the Generation X. I want them to know that they’re going to have to be fighting.”

One of the most important scenes to King is the moment where she signs on to the Women’s Tennis Association that she and her husband had started.

“Because of that moment where we signed that one dollar bill, those nine of us, that was the birth of women’s professional tennis,” said King. “When you see that in the ‘Battle of the Sexes,’ it’s very quick but when you see nine of us holding that dollar bill, that’s a moment.”

As both a world-renowned tennis star and Cal State LA alumni, Billie Jean King is celebrated in the worldwide release of “Battle of the Sexes”, which tells the story that helped cement women’s influence in sports history.