Walking in Another’s Shoes

Cal State LA Women’s Tennis hosts a shoe drive intended to support victims of Hurricane Harvey, but end up helping others instead.

The Cal State LA women's tennis team hosted a shoe drive to support victims of 
Hurricane Harvey

The Cal State LA women's tennis team hosted a shoe drive to support victims of Hurricane Harvey

Aileen Espitia

Aileen Espitia

Mike Nelson, Staff Reporter

Last week, the Cal State LA Women’s Tennis team hosted a shoe drive for the victims of Hurricane Harvey. The shoe drive was done in cooperation with the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, which asked schools from throughout the country to donate shoes to Rice University which is located in Houston, Texas.

Rice University received such overwhelming support from the nationwide shoe drive that Cal State LA’s donations weren’t accepted. With a total of 170 pairs of shoes collected, the University donated to the local community instead.

Head Coach Efe Ustundag, of Rice University Men’s Tennis, said, “We are very thankful and humbled by the support and donations we have received from around the country. We have been able to donate a portion of the boxes we have received. Unfortunately, the outpouring of support and love for Houston has caused most of the centers around the city to stop accepting donations.”

The shoes collected on campus were sent to Faith in Christ Ministries in South Los Angeles. The donated shoes will go a long way in the community of South Central Los Angeles.

Women’s Tennis Head Coach Sandy Kriezel spoke about the shoe drive, “In the tennis community we all help each other; as soon as they sent the request, we responded.”

As well as serving the local community, Cal State LA Women’s Tennis felt rewarded in their actions, as Kriezel explained:

“The tennis team really enjoyed working on this project, and they said it made them feel really good to help others that are in need.”

Although the donations collected from the shoe drive did not go to the original intended location, Golden Eagle students were still offered the opportunity to come together and make a difference in their community.