Silent Protest Continue on the Field

NFL players are still taking a knee during the National Anthem this season.

Colin Kaepernick alongside teammates from the 49ers, taking a knee during the
 National Anthem

Colin Kaepernick alongside teammates from the 49ers, taking a knee during the National Anthem

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Richard Molina, Deputy Copy Editor

This season, dozens of athletes throughout the National Football League (NFL) have decided to protest their involvement in the national anthem before each game. Through this platform, athletes are publicly demonstrating against racial inequality in the United States.

So far, players from the Los Angeles Rams, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks, and San Francisco 49ers have joined the protest.

Of the numerous teams involved, the Cleveland Browns have had a notably large number of participants. The Washington Post reported a total of 17 athletes who have been involved in silent protest. In one particular game, Cleveland Browns players knelt in a circle while teammates stood above with a hand on another’s shoulder.

This protest came after Browns coach Hue Jackson said, “I would hope that we don’t have those issues.” After the fact, Jackson clarified his support for the team’s decision to get involved.

These protests follow former San Francisco 49er’s quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, who decided to take a knee in protest during the National Anthem last season. Following his controversial actions, Kaepernick’s contract was not continued with the 49ers, and he has not been signed by another team since. Despite his unemployment, athletes have continued to join in on the protests.

Kaepernick’s actions created controversy within the media, as well as across the country. A series of interviews of NFL fans, done by Sports Illustrated, revealed that though Americans generally supported exercising freedom of speech, many had a problem with the manner in which Kaepernick chose to exercise that right. However, others felt that it was the right time and place for the longstanding issues to be addressed.

The debate on these protests has evolved to become part of a larger national conversation over free speech. The debate has spread to universities and communities across the nation.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Silent Protest Continue on the Field”

1. zeno on October 9th, 2017 9:05 pm

These athletes make millions of dollars taken from the public and they are protesting. They do not what side of their bread is buttered on.

[Reply]

Emilija Torbešic Reply:

More like corporations and the rich take $Billions and work against the public interest! Athletes protesting racism and injustice as seen in the 1968 Olympics has been a major part of the Civil Rights Movement with considerable PUBLIC SUPPORT! Just look at all the white football players who are joining the protest.
    Protesters Flock to the NFL’s NYC Headquarters in Solidarity With Colin Kaepernick!
    https://www.alternet.org/activism/protesters-flock-nfls-nyc-headquarters-solidarity-colin-kaepernick

[Reply]

• Sports

US Soccer Misses the Mark

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

Digging for a Cure

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

Unity after tragedy

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

Battle of the Sexes

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

Breaking Even

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

Golden Eagles Soar in Overtime

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

Rams and Chargers Fight for Los Angeles

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

Make It Rain

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

From Player to Coach

• Silent Protest Continue on the Field

Pitch This!

Silent Protest Continue on the Field