The Future of Enrollment

Noah Thatcher

Noah Thatcher

Ashley Reyes, Contributor

On Sept. 19 and 20, the California State University (CSU) Board of Trustees gathered for a two-day open session at the Office of the Chancellor in Long Beach. The meeting was the first of six held to discuss objectives for the 2017-2018 school year.

Items on the agenda ranged from finance to faculty personnel budgets and enrollment management.

The enrollment management plan, in conjunction with the Graduation Initiative 2025,  is among one of the Trustees’ top priorities aimed to ensure equal educational opportunities for all admitted and enrolled students. This includes giving accommodation to eligible first-time freshman and upper-division transfer students.

Each initiative is governed by the California Master Plan for Higher Education, which was designed to ensure access for qualified students at California Community Colleges, CSU’s or the University of California. $75 million of the 2017-2018 budget will go to further developing the Graduation Initiative 2025.

“The California State University will receive a recurring increase of $177.2 million in the 2017-18 state budget. Of that allocation, $20 million is for enrollment growth of 2,500 full-time equivalent students across the system (approximately 3,000 headcount),” said Chancellor Timothy P. White in a statement released in June.

However, one problem that remains is that many CSU campuses are already at their physical and budgetary capacity, making it impossible for them to meet the growing demands. According to a recent admission eligibility study, high school graduation rates have increased by 40.8%, which is higher than the master plan target of 33.3%.

By May 2018, the trustees need to approve two policies directed at minimizing problems due to overcapacity and impaction. These include redirecting student applications to less impacted campuses as well as offering first-priority to eligible students in impacted programs at their local CSU.

“The CSU is also committed to fully eliminating achievement gaps for underrepresented, low-income, and first-generation students,” according to CSU. “The $75 million request represents the first year of a multi-year investment that is needed in order to achieve the CSU’s ambitious new graduation and student success goals.”

Back in June 2017, The California State University Board of Trustees approved their first 2.5% tuition hike across all CSU campuses since 2011. According to a statement made on the budget plan, this will generate $77.5 million in net revenue for student success initiatives including the Graduation Initiative 2025.

​​​In Nov. 2017, the Board of Trustees will hold a second informational meeting on enrollment management that will cover specific strategies and will focus on the issue of impaction.