Former Golden Eagle Hails Film Award

Cal State LA alumnus, Pablo De La Hoya, presented with Student Academy Award for breakthrough documentary.

Cal State LA Alumnus Pablo De La Hoya was one of the winners of the 2017 Student Academy Awards.

Angélica María Casas

Angélica María Casas

Carlos Gomez, Managing Editor

The winners of the 2017 Student Academy Awards, hosted by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, were announced. Among the winners was a documentary entitled “Hale”, directed by Brad Bailey from the University of California, Berkeley. Among the film’s crew was Pablo De La Hoya, a Cal State LA alumnus.

De La Hoya graduated from Cal State LA  in 2015 with a B.A. in Television and Film at the University, and served as a member of the University Times staff during his attendance.

Upon graduation, he set out for UC Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism to study documentary film. He had no idea, however, that his studies would allow him to participate in an award winning documentary.

“I was an associate producer for the film. I helped shoot some of the interviews in the film and organized the story structure,” said De La Hoya.

According to De La Hoya, “Hale” is about Hale Zukas and the disability rights movement that began in Berkeley. The film also showcases Hale’s life and his work both during the movement and now as he continues to work for disability rights.

After being awarded the Student Academy Award, De La Hoya was shocked:

“My initial thought was, wow! As it settled, I thought of how great of an opportunity it has been to work on this film. We had a great diverse crew, and the late nights with the director, Brad Bailey paid off. We worked hard to make the film what it is, and to see it being rewarded has been awesome.”

As the 2018 Oscars approach, “Hale” has the chance to be nominated for an Academy Award. De La Hoya sees this as more reason to keep growing and pushing himself.

“It’s motivation to continue on this path, and I am hoping for the best. But the important thing was telling Hale’s story, and as soon as I jumped into this story I knew it was worth it.”