Breaking down domestic terrorism

In the wake of the recent Las Vegas shooting, controversy arises as to whether the act should be labeled domestic terrorism.

Alexandrea Bell, Contributor

After the recent scene of the Las Vegas Route 91 Harvest mass shooting, there is controversy among individuals. Some believe that it should be considered domestic terrorism, while others believe that it justifiably should be labeled just that: “a shooting.”

Regardless of opinion, the details of The Patriot Act state that domestic terrorism is an attempt to, “intimidate or coerce a civilian population; to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping.”

Specifically, Nevada defines terrorism as, “a person who intentionally commits, causes, aids, furthers or conceal an act of terrorism to commit, cause, aid, further or conceal an act of terrorism.”

According to a recent NPR report, “To be charged with terrorism, a person has to be suspected of acting on behalf of one of nearly 60 groups that the State Department has declared a foreign terrorist organization. Some are well-known, including the Islamic State and al-Qaida, while others are far more obscure. Most, but not all, are Islamist.”

Each states a slight variation of the other– that is that terrorism is defined by specific binding principles such as affiliation, influence to commit the crime, and motive.

However, regardless of what the Las Vegas shooting should be classified as, the fact of the matter is that dozens of lives were lost at the hands of a single shooter.