Gov. Brown signs bill protecting undocumented immigrants

Senate Bill Declaring California “Sanctuary State” Signed By Governor

California Governor Jerry Brown signed the Senate Bill 54, which officially recognizes the entirety of California as a “sanctuary state.”

Tribune News Service

Last Thursday, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a landmark piece of legislation, which will designate California a “sanctuary state” as well as vastly limit the authority of state and local agencies to enforce federal immigration law.

The Senate Bill 54, which officially recognizes the entirety of California as a “sanctuary state,” will do more than serve as a ceremonial recognition of immigrant contributions. It will shield more than 2.3 million immigrants from unsolicited investigation, interrogation, detention, detection, or arrest for purposes of immigration enforcement.

“California has always been ahead of every state. The Pat Brown Institute often said that California was ten years ahead of the rest of the nation. So this is another chance to show that our state is shining more than ever,” said Jose Guevara, peer adviser and student assistant at the Glazer Family Dreamers Resource Center at Cal State LA.

For many police and sheriff’s agencies, not much will change. Several law enforcement agencies within California have already adopted protocol’s prohibiting  their interaction or cooperation with federal immigration agents.

Other local agencies that have not yet complied with new “sanctuary state” rules will have to make numerous adjustments. They will have to effectively cut off all ties with federal immigration agencies and will be prohibited from asking about a person’s immigration status or arresting based on civil immigration warrants.

There are a few exceptions to this policy, however. State prisons and local jails will continue to provide the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security with electronic fingerprint records of convicted immigrants.

In addition, police and sheriffs will be able to transfer inmates to immigration authorities if they have been convicted in the last fifteen years of one of 800 crimes described in the Trust Act.

Effectively, this will allow police and sheriffs to continue protecting California against criminals, whilst protecting innocent immigrant families.

Another exception to the SB 54 is that it does not inhibit the jurisdiction of federal immigration authorities such as the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E) or the Department of Homeland Security.

Recent rumors of I.C.E.’s presence on the Cal State LA campus have been determined to be false, according to Robert Lopez, Executive Director of the Office of Communications. However, a visit by Homeland Security has been confirmed.

On September 26th, two internal affairs investigators reportedly visited campus after being invited by an adjunct faculty member who spoke against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

“The complaint was not connected to Cal State LA. The investigators spoke to the adjunct faculty member in an office,” said Nancy Wada-McKee, Vice President for Student Life.

However, Associated Student Incorporated (A.S.I.) has declared their fervent support of the bill. In fact, A.S.I.’s Lobby Corps group traveled to California’s capital in an effort to encourage their representatives to vote in favor.

“When we took our advocacy trip to Sacramento in March this was one of the bills we were asking support for. This bill has a tremendous impact on students. It tells students that they are able to attend our campus without fear,” said Marcos Montes, VP for External Affairs and Advancement at A.S.I.

In spite of the protections granted by SB 54, students should have a solid plan of action when facing immigration enforcement agencies on or off-campus.

Though expected to meet with resistance from Trump administration officials, the SB 54 is expected to take effect in January.

1 Comment

One Response to “Gov. Brown signs bill protecting undocumented immigrants”

1. Don Honda on October 11th, 2017 1:38 pm

Sanctuary Cities are nothing more than holding pens for prey for Illegal Alien Criminals. Never mentioned is the existence of the U Visa which protects Illegal Aliens who report or are a victim of crime. I wonder why?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/us/legal-immigrants-who-oppose-illegal-immigration.html?_r=2
    U.S.Sanctuary Bills in Maryland Faced a Surprise Foe: Legal Immigrants

“The failure of the sanctuary bills in Maryland reveals a potentially troublesome fissure for Democrats as they rush to defy Mr. Trump. Their party has staked out an activist position built around protecting undocumented immigrants. But it is one that has alienated many who might have been expected to support it.”

Obama administration has admitted that Sanctuary Cities are a problem:
    http://culberson.house.gov/uploadedfiles/doj_february_23_letter.pdf

But, within the above letter, doesn’t really address what the Obama administration will actually do about it to protect US Citizens:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/300504684/What-Did-DOJ-Really-Promise-on-Sanctuary-Cities

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/commentary/sd-utbg-sanctuary-cities-opposition-20170120-story.html

http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/09/04/igs-poll-californians-oppose-sanctuary-city-flexibility/

IGS poll: Californians oppose sanctuary city policies

“Californians strongly oppose “sanctuary city” policies under which local authorities ignore federal requests to detain undocumented immigrants who have been arrested but are about to be released, according to a new poll released today by the Institute of Governmental Studies (IGS) at UC Berkeley.”

[Reply]

• Gov. Brown signs bill protecting  undocumented immigrants

Patrolling in Pink

Stolen Vehicles on Campus

From Riots to Rebuilding

Pet-Adoption Back on Campus

Lessons in Love

Celebrating faculty publications

Changes to Contraceptive Coverage

EPIC Secures Lives

Party in the Pit

Sex, Lies, and Our Culture of Abuse