Millions Earmarked to Prepare Latino Educators

CSU System Recieves $8.1 Million Grant to Fund Latino and Hispanic Teachers

Noah Thatcher

Noah Thatcher

Noah Thatcher

Once again, the CSU system is pioneering academic inclusivity. This time, however, its target audience comprises more than just its college constituents. With a new $8.1 million grant, CSU is seeking to reform high school and community college education across the state.

It is a little known fact that Latinos and Hispanics are heavily represented throughout the CSU system. Just Mexican Americans alone make up the majority demographic across all 26 campuses’ undergraduate and graduate programs. Targeting these numbers, the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 will fund a five-year program ($2.7 million per year) to encourage and prepare Latino and Hispanic students for teaching careers.

The new federal grant money will go towards including more Latinos in teaching programs and providing all necessary professional and social services. It will also provide hands-on classroom training and data-tracking for the progress of these budding student-teachers.

The U.S. Department of Education chose three specific campuses to receive the grant: Sacramento, Long Beach and Sonoma State University.

“They are designated as Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) based on the fact they have a Latino student enrollment of at least 25 percent. The HSI designation makes campuses eligible for federal grants and other programs aimed at strengthening Latino student success. 21 of CSU’s 23 campuses are HSIs,” said CSU Spokesperson Elizabeth Chapin.

The lack of Latino and Hispanic teachers in California is not a recent issue. In 2014-2015, state data showed two-thirds of California’s teachers as white and a fifth as Hispanic.

At the time, California’s population was little less than two-thirds Hispanic and little more than a fifth white.

Studies have shown that when students see teachers of their own race, ethnicity, or gender, they perform better in the classroom. This is due to a combination of factors, one being that teachers may unconsciously stereotype their students. Thomas S. Dee, professor of education at Stanford, said that white teachers are more likely to condescend to Black and Latino students than to their white counterparts.

Dee also mentioned that students may also feel a pressure to prove themselves and disprove their associated stereotype, thereby detracting their focus from schoolwork.

The benefits of having a more diverse teaching body are numerous. Students who see teachers of the same demographic as them are more likely to view their instructors as role models. More specifically, Latino teachers have been found to discriminate less against students of other backgrounds.

“How about white or Hispanic students being matched with white or Hispanic teachers, respectively? Nope, no discernable differences in externalizing behavior. (To be clear, black teachers rate white students about the same as do white teachers.),” read a report from the Brookings Institution.

Targeting the CSU system as an institution of Hispanic and Latino student population is a great move on behalf of the U.S. Department of Education. Every year, the system produces approximately 6,800 graduates and more teachers than all other California institutions combined.

The grant is certainly one step in the direction of an all-inclusive education. Here’s to many more years of progress.