Comic Con Takes Over LA

Stan Lee’s annual Comic Convention celebrates popular entertainment and culture.

The Black Eyed Peas showcasing their collectable 
graphic novel

The Black Eyed Peas showcasing their collectable graphic novel "Masters of the Sun."

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor

Stan Lee’s Los Angeles (LA) Comic Con returned to the Convention Center with a star-studded lineup of guests . Attendees were welcomed to a weekend celebrating comic-books, television and other fandoms from Friday, Oct. 27 to Sunday, Oct. 30.

By upping the ante on all aspects of the three-day convention, this year’s expo marked its largest. Friday was the preview day for attendees to purchase items at the convention, such as the popular Funko Pop! Collectible figures that were made exclusively for purchase at LA Comic Con. Saturday was a full house for the Convention Center where they hosted some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry.

The programming for Saturday started with a double dose of reunions for two popular TV shows. The cast of “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” reunited after 21 years to share their most memorable moments. Following the panel was the reunion of the cast from the original “PowerPuff Girls” animated series.

Guest of Honor, Drew Carey, shared his journey in the entertainment business leading up to his taking of Bob Barker’s role as host of the game show “The Price is Right”:

“I get to be on the show giving away stuff to people and that will be the best way to make a living,” recalled Carey.  “I really love when people win, it’s like I’m encouraging people to loot.”

Fans of ABC’s hit series Marvel’s “Agents of Shield” were treated to a panel featuring Chloe Bennet (Daisy Johnson) and surprise guest Gabriel Luna (Robbie Reyes/Ghost Rider).

“Agents of Shield has been doing a great job getting ahead of the curve at giving female characters and those of color, really dynamic characters,” said Bennet. “Women are strong, women are badass, women can be scientists, women can be superheroes and we have been doing that from the beginning without making a big deal about it.”

The Black Eyed Peas have been collaborating with Marvel Comics in publishing their recent graphic novel “Masters of the Sun” which revolutionizes how people will interact with comic-books. Through augmented reality (AR), features are anticipated to bring the pages to life with an app on the user’s phone.

“This is just another asset of creativity in how we can implement innovation through technology, through storytelling, to make sure we can always stay ahead of the curb,” said Taboo, member of The Black Eyed Peas.

Saturday ended with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson sharing insight on his upcoming feature film “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle”:

“I saw the original Jumanji and when the producers came to me with the idea of possibly making a continuation 25 years later–I loved it,” said Johnson. “It was the opportunity that we had to introduce Jumanji to a whole new generation.”

Other panels and activities featured a variety of fan favorites. Specifically, a tribute to the Adam West’s legacy as Batman from the 1960’s TV show, the reunion of the popular animated series “The Fairly Oddparents”, The Cosplay National Championship, and guests offering autographs and photo opportunities.

The Black Eyed Peas also headlined the official afterparty at the Novo with special performances from hip hop superstars Flavor Flav, Lil B, Redman, and Run DMC.

Before closing the show on Sunday, Comic Book Legend Stan Lee, who created many of Marvel’s iconic characters, left us with an inspiring remark about comic culture about comic book culture:

“You could be a good guy or a bad guy–be a good guy,” said Lee. “It’s more fun and it pays off in the end. Nobody likes the bad guys.”