Feeling the Blues

The Los Angeles Dodgers fall short in Game 7.

Dodger Stadium quickly emptied once game 7 concluded.

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Michael Levitsky, Contributor

They almost had it.  For the first time in almost three decades, the Dodgers nearly won the World Series.  It was the first time they had even been to the World Series since they had won it all back in 1988.  During their last trip to the Fall Classic, Ronald Reagan was President, Beetlejuice was in theaters, and most Cal State LA students had not even been born yet.  This generation has never experienced the Dodgers winning any World Series, let alone the title.

In a season that looked quite promising, the Dodgers had the best record in baseball with 104 wins.  In the playoffs, they handily took care of division foes Arizona Diamondbacks in the National League Division Series.  In the Championship Series, they took down reigning World Series champions’ Chicago Cubs, who knocked Los Angeles out of the playoffs last year.  With the moniker “This Team” given to the Dodgers by the fans, many thought that it really was their year to win it all.

The Boys in Blue came into the World Series red hot, only losing one game in the entire postseason up to that point.  They would matchup with the team that had the second-best record in baseball, the Houston Astros.  No question these were the two best ball clubs facing off against each other.  After a wildly entertaining 6 games, the series was tied 3-3, and set up for a winner-take-all Game 7 at Dodger Stadium.  After a series that had gone back and forth, Game 7 did not necessarily live up to be as exciting as many were hoping.  The Astros went on to win the game by a score of 5-1, taking home the World Series title.

As disappointed as some fans are at the outcome of the season, make note that it was the closest the Dodgers have come to reaching a World Series title in 29 years.  Hats off to the Houston Astros, Los Angeles was defeated by a very fine ball club.  A city that has gone through so much recently, Houston deserved something like this.

For now, the Dodgers World Series drought continues.  Thankfully, next season they return almost their entire roster.  Manager Dave Roberts led the team to the World Series in just his second season.  And the Dodgers have the League’s highest payroll.  Las Vegas have already given them the best odds to win the World Series next year.  It is okay to feel blue right now.  But have faith Dodger fans, they’ll be back next year.  “This Team” is here to stay.