Cal State LA Veterans Day Ceremony

Cal State LA's Annual Veterans Day Ceremony honors student veterans.

A small American flag given out to students during the Veteran's Day ceremony at the Student Union Plaza.

Brian Delgado

Brian Delgado

Ashley Reyes, Contributor

On Thursday, Nov. 9, Cal State LA hosted its annual Veterans Day Ceremony on the Student Union Plaza. The event offered an opportunity for the Cal State LA community to reflect on the services and sacrifices veterans have made on behalf of our nation.

The U.S. Army Los Angeles Recruiting Battalion opened the ceremony with the traditional posting of the colors, followed by The National Anthem sung by Master of Music student, Desiree Gonzalez.

Dani Molina, the Director of Cal State LA’s Veteran Resource Center

began the ceremonial welcome by giving thanks to veterans and expressing how proud he is of those currently enrolled at the University.

“Our student veterans come from all different walks of life,” said Molina. “They come to Cal State LA with unique identities that, when channeled accordingly, can position them to become the next great generation.”

Molina is an enlisted U.S. Army Veteran who joined the service when he was just 17 years old. During his military career, he completed 4 years of active duty and was also deployed during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, where he served as a radio operator.

“This gathering here at Cal State LA is our way to say we remember your sacrifice, and want to celebrate your accomplishments,” he said.

He also stressed how students should draw on the strengths and personal courage of our veterans as we face the challenges of today and those of the future.

During his remarks, President Covino commended Cal State LA for providing educational opportunities to post-World War II veterans.

“This semester, there are 440 veterans studying at Cal State LA and 286 students who are military dependents,” said Covino. “These veterans have stood on the front lines ready to pay the ultimate price for the freedoms that we hold dear, and although they are no longer in uniform, their service continues.”

Covino also honored students such as Army Combat Veteran Martin Chung. While deployed near Kandahar Afghanistan in 2012, Chung served as rifleman, military driver, electronic jammer, and mortarman. He is now studying at Cal State LA as a kinesiology major with an option in rehabilitation and therapeutic exercises.

The last guest to take the mic was Marine Corps Veteran and Keynote Speaker, Dr. Jose Luis Santos.

As a member of the military, Santos served on active duty for three and a half years as a Corporal E-4, and an additional three and a half years as a naval midshipman, first class, while attending college.

Having to spend his weekends mowing lawns for white collar workers as a child, Santos reflected on his childhood and struggles that eventually inspired him to join the service at age 17, pursue a college degree, and create his own public policy advocacy firm dedicated to higher education, data analytics, program evaluation, and policy development.

He proceeded to offer advice to veterans, and to reach out to the VRC for the support, for building relationships with professors and seeking out academic help even when veterans might not need it.

“You don’t have to prove yourself. You’ve already done that by serving and enrolling in college,” he said.  “You have what it takes. You have served your country, and we are eternally grateful for that.”

After the event, Michelle Martinez, a social work major who hopes to one day launch a career working with veterans, expressed what she liked most about the event.

“What I enjoyed is the fact that it was very inclusive,” said Martinez “The ceremony had a lot of different armed forces, which is nice because there aren’t only marines and army, there’s also navy and air force.”