Men Speak Out Too

Amid recent sexual assault allegations in Hollywood, men step forward and tell their stories.

Terry+Crews
Terry Crews

Terry Crews

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Terry Crews

Toni Reveles, Contributor

Following the buzz of Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulting women, individuals have begun to consider others that have experienced the same thing.

Recently, actor Terry Crews spoke out and said that he had been sexually assaulted. Crews tweeted on Nov. 10 about his assault:

“My wife and I were at a Hollywood function last year and a high level Hollywood executive came over to me and groped my privates. Jumping back, I said ‘What are you doing?!’ My wife saw everything and we looked at him like he was crazy. He just grinned like a jerk. I was going to kick his butt right then— but I thought twice about how the whole thing would appear.”

This inspired other men to come forward and say what happened to them. On Oct. 29, actor Anthony Rapp said in an interview with Buzzfeed News that actor Kevin Spacey had made sexual advances towards him when he was 14 years old.

“I still to this day can’t wrap my head around so many aspects of it. It’s just deeply confusing to me,” said Rapp.

Like other male victims, Rapp waited years before saying anything about Kevin Spacey:

“It was this thing that happened, and I locked it away.”

Spacey made a comment on Twitter regarding the incident:

“Honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior,” he said.

Spacey, who has a hit show on Netflix called “House of Cards”, has experienced damage to his career since allegations surfaced. Multiple men have come out and said that Spacey had sexually assaulted them, with some of the victims being minors at the time of the assault.

According to multiple reports, even workers on the show have had complaints about Spacey making their work environment “toxic.”

On Nov. 3, Netflix canceled the seventh season of “House of Cards” and put production on hold for the sixth season, which is currently filming. They then announced that they were cutting all ties with Kevin Spacey. Then, on Nov. 8, Spacey was dropped from an upcoming movie directed by Ridley Scott.

Though individuals tend to consider that women are more likely to experience a sexual assault in college, men are not exempt. Sexual assault is not gender limited, and affects both men and women.

According to KnowYourIX.org, five to seven percent of male college students will be sexually assaulted on campus. Like other sexual assault victims, men tend to avoid reporting the assault because they are afraid that other people might judge them.

An article on Pacific Standard stated, “19 to 31 percent of male college students experience unwanted sexual contact and researchers say the vast majority of that is perpetrated by women.”

Though double standards are wrong, ignoring the fact that they do exist can prove to be worse. Something as disturbing as sexual assault should be taken seriously by everyone, no matter their gender.