Honey Saves Money

Browser extension for online shoppers saves time and money.

Lexi Bell, Contributor

Purchasing items online has become the new way to shop. Individuals can order everything from a pizza to new jeans with a click. To make shopping online even more competitive, shoppers have the ability to enter promotional (promo) and coupon codes before check-out. Imagine confirming an order online and having the ability to automatically scan for all available discounts and promo codes through the web browser.

Honey.com is an online web browser extension that automatically searches for discounts and promo codes when users are shopping online. Specifically, the browser is currently supported on Google Chrome, Firefox and Opera and is automatically added after download. By simply clicking the extension in the browser, the application searches thousands of sites to find the right deal. Honey serves as the ultimate virtual couponing feature.

The extension also allows individuals to filter which companies are located and considered. Honey offers a full list of participating companies on its website, which include businesses like: Amazon, Forever21, Nike, Pizza Hut and Macys.

Though the extension has had mixed reviews by users online, Honey fulfills its function as a discount-searching tool. Specifically, certain companies tend to limit their promotional offerings, while  provide multiple codes and discounts for individuals. Honey does not control the volume of discounts, but serves as a filter for individuals.

Vajanare Vaughn, senior, currently uses the app:

“I don’t always get a hit for a coupon which is frustrating at times. But I always let it at least search just in case”.

Though a discount isn’t guaranteed, an individual still has the potential to save money if they consider Honey when purchasing items online. For college students, saving money can prove critical.