That’s the Spirit

CSI hosts its annual Golden Eagle Pride 3K run.

Girl+jumping
Girl jumping

Girl jumping

Juan J Palma

Juan J Palma

Girl jumping

Ricky Rodas, Investigative Reporter

On an average day, Cal State LA students interact with clubs and organizations who table outside along the main walkway. However, last Tuesday was a different story, as a large crowd sporting matching shirts ran through the main walkway.

On Nov. 14, the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) hosted its annual Golden Eagle Pride 3K run. Participants ran, jogged and walked the approximately 2-mile route.

Student organizations such as the Student Health Center and Cal State LA Food Pantry took part in the 3K, including the Dean of Students Jennifer Miller. Prior to the run, Miller spoke briefly to attendees about the event’s importance:

“For the staff and faculty that are here taking a little bit of a break, I know that it’s a really busy time but a chance to join our students and to take care of ourselves, and I’m going to be walking with you.”

Johanna Gutierrez, the CSI Wellness, Travel, and Recreational Events Program Assistant organized the event together with her supervisor Marielena Becerra. Gutierrez spoke to the University Times about its purpose and the cause it serves:

“The purpose is to promote Golden Eagle spirit at Cal State LA and to give back to the community by having students, staff and families donate three non-perishable food items that will benefit the University’s Food Pantry.”

Before the run, marketing major Esmerelda Miramon explained how excited she was to participate:

“I really like to run, I’ve done LA marathons so I got interested in the 3K run. It’s really exciting and you get to meet people all around you,” said Miramon.

Electrical engineering major Misael Duran was the first runner to cross the finish line, and improved on his performance from last year.

“I did the same race last semester but I got 5th place; I wasn’t in shape,” said Duran.

After the run Miramon reflected, “I’m really tired. It’s been a long time since I’ve ran, so I was like ‘wow’. I remember why I liked it.”