Preparing for Election Season

Two informational sessions helped students clear doubts about A.S.I. general elections.

Preparing for Election Season

Ashley Joseph discusses how students can be involved in the A.S.I. General Election.

Cara Gonzales

Cara Gonzales

Cara Gonzales

Marcela Valdivia, Staff Reporter

On Monday, Nov. 13 and Wednesday Nov. 15, the Associated Students, Inc.’s (A.S.I.) General Election “So You Want To Run” information sessions were held in the University-Student Union (U-SU). These informational sessions allowed interested students the opportunity to ask questions and learn more about open positions.

A.S.I. is governed by a student Board of Directors and is “for the students, by the student” according to the organization. Its goals include providing a voice and advocating for students on campus.

“A.S.I. pretty much gives a voice to students and I feel that if they want change to be made on campus, why not be the leader to make that change happen,” said Adriana Navarro, A.S.I. Election & Orientation Commissioner.

There are a total of six positions for the Board of Directors: President, Vice President for Administration, Vice President for Academic Governance, Vice President for External Affairs and Advancement, Vice President for Finance, and Secretary/Treasurer.

Other positions open for the Board of Directors includes 12 College Representatives. There are two positions currently open for the six different colleges on campus.

Other openings include: Campus Affairs Representative-at-Large, Community Affairs Representative-at-Large, Undergraduate Academic Senator (3 positions) and Graduate Academic Senator (2 positions).

“A.S.I. has taught me to not give up because you always have to fight for something that you think should be correct and definitely keep going,” said Navarro.

To apply for a position, students must be in good academic standing, and must have been enrolled in at least two semesters at Cal State LA previously, as well as have a minimum 2.3 cumulative GPA. Students must also submit a letter of intent to run for office if interested in pre-campaigning.

“The pro is developing skills within yourself, but also you are more well connected with students, faculty and staff,” said Navarrete.

“Just with what I want to do with my career, I know this will be a good way to get into the process of government,” said Alyssa Gradwell.

Applications will open online on Tuesday, Jan. 2 at www.ASICalStateLA.org/apply and the deadline will be Thursday, Feb. 8 at 5:00 p.m.

For more information, visit the A.S.I. office in room 203 in the second floor of the University-Student Union (U-SU).